Whistling in a high wind area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

c0t0d0s0

Dec 18, 2021
Arizona
I have a quadrafire Trekker that was installed in my house a few months ago. The insert works well, but I live in a very windy area that causes problems sometimes.
If the wind is blowing I'll get a sound like blowing over of coke bottle. Sometimes it will even start to pull the flames up higher.

My installer company wasn't helpful and just gave me a copy of the owner's manual but I didn't see anything on point.

Is there a better cap I can install?

Are you certain it's the wind? Because I just had a new Quad Classic Bay installed yesterday and it sometimes sounds like a wind machine. But in my case I don't think it's my chimney. I don't know yet. It may be the nature of the beast. And my flame goes up and down occasionally as the pellets drop.

Are you certain it's the wind? Because I just had a new classic Bay installed yesterday and it sounds somewhat like a wind machine. But in my case I don't think it's my chimney, but I don't know yet. It may be the nature of the beast. And my flame goes up and down occasionally as the pellets drop.
Not sure what else it could be. The fireplace even makes the noise when the insert is already off.

Not sure what else it could be. The fireplace even makes the noise when the insert is already off.
Do you have a liner installed, do you know how it's capped? Did they put a block off plate at the top of the chimney? Did you install an outside air kit?

Have you called and spoken with the installers about this issue? I would want to know what kind of cap they put on my chimney and whether or not they completely sealed around the chimney liner pipe.

Have you called and spoken with the installers about this issue? I would want to know what kind of cap they put on my chimney and whether or not they completely sealed around the chimney liner pipe.
The install was not a pleasant thing. We placed the order for the insert, they came and cut out or woodburning fireplace. Then they told us they didn't have the new insert and probably wouldn't for months. This was during winter. Words were said and I think they'd perfer I just go away.

If I can fix this myself I think it would be easiest.

I would not take no for an answer! I would be all up in their business! These stoves cost thousands of dollars to install and they need to make it right. If you think you can manage the situation on your own, then perhaps begin with an inventory of what was done. What materials were used, etc. Did they detail your estimate and installation fees with product details?