White Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
I have been working on this white oak for a couple of months now, and have gotten all the branches, and big limbs CSS. Since that main trunk is off the ground should I wait until I have the time to process it all in 1 day or should I continue to get a little bit at a time, and it possibly will fall on the ground. I can only get my 4-wheeler and yutrax cart back in that part of the timber, so it will take many trips to get it all out of there. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.. David

Attachments

• White Oak.JPG
    White Oak.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 192
I would continue working it as you have, little bits at a time. Next thing you know it will be all split and stacked and you'll be looking for the next tree. Plus, the sooner you get it stacked the sooner you can burn it.

I agree, unless in the vary near future you can have that day to get it done.

As nice as it is that it's off the ground it looks like your next cut could put it down. I think I'd leave it until you're ready to go at it then get it safely down before bucking completely in case it moves while your working it.

Thanks for the help I will continue to work at it, any suggestions on the other part of that which is still standing? Should I leave that and wait until it falls over or should I fell that myself? Thanks again...

As soon as you get the first half wrapped up go ahead and drop the other half and if you can put some smaller logs in the trees path to keep it up off of the ground if you can since you are working on it at a slow pace.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Yep. Agree with others work at it when you can. White oak is very rot resistant and will take several years before it starts to punk.

Almost as cool as landing it on sawhorses. Don't get any better than that. Wish my trees would cooperate like that.