Whitfield Advantage(classic!) burn grate/pot questions/help.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.........I was running into some real issues trying to do research most of the day because of the different numbers everyone seem to have---including our local HD. Oh, and I am getting a woodstove, using the ol' Whitfield in the Living Room only as extra heat, or to heat just that area---'bout all it does, but does it real good. I have 2700sq.ft. I am dealing with, though mild temps compared to yours, here on PugetSound. It always seems to be 'shoulder' season, more or less--- and I'd about as soon be too cold as too hot.
But I do believe you got yourself a winner in a pellet stove there for sure! After all of the reading I did on them today, I really didn't find many negative comments---certainly no more than with the top of the line names. Parts are cheaper too, should you need them. I think most of the problems I heard were more than likey caused by not knowing how to maintain correct cleanliness in the baffles and ports, or people thinking they can just turn it on and fill with pellets when needed.......I guess that would be nice, haha!
I think I've decided to go with a Century FW2700 and can pick it up in the morning in Seattle for $900. I can put that in our big fam/great room and spread the heat around the house better.

I hope your stove continues to do you well!!
Fred

Oh, my buddy just got in from Butte. He spends most of the winter here. We used to have property up on Flathead Lake too, BigFork, haha! And, we get all of our bacon fresh from Helena every time he comes! Love it out there!

Hi Guys,
I wanted your comments on my new setup with my Whitfield. I installed this stove in my basement (finished) right below the HVAC ducts.

I cut a 12 by 12 opening for a return grille so that the heat from the stove would get sucked in and circulate throughout the house.

Well, that was not good enough for me. I just got some ducting to implement the setup pictured in attached photos. So far, so good.

Has anyone done this type of thing before?

Also, I have been reading through posts related to clinkers, and getting the air mix right. I really think i could get away with running on the #1 setting, but the flames seem to vary over time from bright and large, to almost nothing. Does anyone have ideas? I have tried all different settings for the damper to fine tune the airflow, but am wondering if something else is wrong. I have a pipe through the wall to bring in outside air, and i modified the intake into the back of the stove to allow the outside air port to feed through (had to bust out the metal plate blocking the path) and I also covered the hole that allowed inside air to feed into the burn pot, so I'm drawing solely outside air for burning.

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 368
Not pretty... but if it works. I would stick a smoke detector in that ceiling grate. Those pipes can rust out.

Hmmmm....hadn't thought about the pipes rusting out! I agree it's not pretty, but it's in the back of the basement. I'm seeing about 150 degree air going into the grill.

140 deg on setting #1, 160deg on setting #2.....not very much difference.

Still experimenting with air flow, damper settings, et al.

Is there a correlation between the combustion fan and the circulation fan? When I turned down the circulation fan, the flames got bigger. I would think that might be expected if I was using internal air for combustion, but I have an external pipe for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.