Whitfield Advantage II auger motor runs only exaust fan off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hembree

Dec 16, 2008
CA Central Coast
I have an Advantage 2 pellet stove. The auger stoped turning. After performing te
variouz tests I determined that the auger motor only runs if the exaust fan is out of the circuit. I unpluged it using the connector. Any suggestions? Control panel.

Thanks
Louis

Welcome to the forum! What tests have you tried? Have you ruled out gaskets door, hopper and ash pan as appropriate (dollar bill test)? Made sure all internal exhaust passages are clear (ash traps behind baffles/cleaned exhaust blower and replaced blower gasket)? No cracks/breaks in vacuum switch line? Probe is clear? Tried bypass on high limit switches (there are two)?

Whitfield controls can be repaired. heatwave electronics in California is one place that is relatively local to you. http://pelletstovecontrollerrepair.com/

Thanks stellep, forgot to include actually doing a temporary by-pass on the vac switch. Also forgot to mention always need to unplug when working in the cabinet so you don't make matters worse!

Yes I tested the Vaccum swich and it is closed as it should be. I also disconnected the tube and blew in to it and the switch opened. The flue has been cleaned, the ash chambers cleaned, and all doors are firmly shut. Also checked low temp (open). and high temp switches (closed) and all are Ok. It beginning to look like a controller board problem.

Thanks

Well.that is strange.If press switch has 3 terminals,may be plugged in wrong.
It was working the previous night. Turned it off during the day. When tried to start it that night, auger motor would not run. Hadn't touched a thing between shutting the stove off and trying to start it. So wiring should be the same. It just stoped working.

Have you tried to provide 120V (or test to see if any resistance) to the auger to see if it will work and not shorted ?

I also disconnected the tube and blew in to it and the switch opened.
Wondering if the vac switch is connected wrong? Normally, to test, you suck on the tube and it should close ... meaning switch is normally open and closes when vacuum sensed. Does your switch have two ports - actually would be three ports of incoming, normally open, normally closed