Q&A Whitfield Advantage II- dirty glass syndrome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Purchased an insert in December and we have been thoroughly satisfied except for the frequency with which we need to clean the glass- every other day. (thick brown covering) our supplier took a look at the door and found some gasket material misplaced but that hasn't changed the pattern. he indicated the airwash system should give v-shaped clear spots on all panes and that doesn't happen. the showroom model had the v-pattern. he will be contacting Whitfield to see if i may have a "bad" door. maybe my expectation is too high...the esthetics of being able to watch the flame is one of the reasons we purchased the stove. stove burns continuously and we use ~40lb/day on a heat output of 2.
played with air adjustment to no avail- flame is good- no smoke...appreciate your thoughts...ed

Answer:

I think it is mostly the nature of the beast. Pellets create quite a bit of dust and fly ash inside the fire box when they burn- and these can tend to settle on the glass. My experience with Whitfield and other brands is that you do have to wipe the glass fairly often to keep it clean. The good news is that- compared to the wood creosote- the pellet dust is easy to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.