Whitfield Advantage ii-t, Door Latch Adjustment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendlydog

Dec 1, 2015
Spokane County, WA
I recently bought a house that came with a Whitfield Advantage II-t pellet stove. The stove was made in 1994, and has been the primary heat source in the house for the last 20 years.

The door seal is not tight enough to seal on the latch side of the door. I replaced the rope gasket, and the roller pins on the latch and on the handle.

Using the paper test, the seal is tight at the hinge side of the door, but loose at the latch end of the door. And there is a gap at the upper right corner, where I can see down into the firebox. It appears the previous owner had tried to fix this, as there was spent .44 brass over the latch pin and some tape wrapped around that.

It looks like the latch pin needs to be relocated about 3/16" in order to get a seal all the way around the door.
But I could not find any door latch adjustments. I've been thinking about taking off the mounting bracket that the latch pin screws into, and modifying it to relocate the latch pin.

Anybody else run into this problem? Is there any easy fix that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

Shoot a couple of pictures and maybe someone can find a fix or knows of a replacement.
Welcome

Friendlydog; here is a picture and directions for your door gasket adjustments.

Attachments

• Whitfield Door Gasket Adjustments.JPG
    Whitfield Door Gasket Adjustments.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,687
I got the door adjusted, and the seal is much improved. It turns out the through holes, for mounting the latch, are slotted. The latch was fully loose in the slots. Adjusting it to fully tight help tremendously. The hinges on my stove are not adjustable. They are fixed and part of a hinge plate that is screwed to the side of the stove. But I was able to space the hinge plate out with a couple of washers. That shifted the door just enough to complete the seal.

This was actually a pretty easy fix. I'm not sure why the previous owner, of 20 years, didn't bother

I have two advantage stoves and the one that I bought new in the early 2000's had the same problem that you had and I adjusted the door using spacers like you did. On the older of the two stoves which I bought used the door is a perfect fit.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.