whitfield advantage II-t thermostat trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drsuess

Oct 9, 2012
First I'd like to just introduce myself as a newbie to the pellet stove world. I recently found a used pellet stove on Craigslist and apparently the previous owner never did any maintenance. The manufacturing date was in 1990 and if anyone ever opened this thing up to clean it since then I'd be surprised. Anyhow, after reading this forum and initially having a very lazy flame problem I took it all apart and cleaned it, I cleaned the combustion fan and oiled it also. Needless to say wow! What an improvement! I found a wireless thermostat so I don't have to run any wires in my walls and now have another problem...the thermostat turns the stove on and back to pilot mode fine, however, it doesn't burn right while it's in pilot mode. It loads with pellets and gets a huge sooty flame before ultimately going out. I've read that the old style burn pot with the holes is pretty much a piece of junk when trying to hook up a thermostat. I don't really wanna spend the 200$ on the ultra grate conversion kit, has anyone modified the old burn pot to solve it's problems? I'm quite handy and if it's some drilling Or cutting I'm most definitely up for it. It's no good now the way it is so if I wreck this pot beyond repair I'm in the same place I am now...buying an ultra grate.

Thanks in advance!

T-Stat is a joke, run it and set it on 1-2-3 to your liking, you got a ignitor?

I do not have an ignitor... i work ten hour days and wanted to have a t stat to keep things going while I'm gone, and figured maybe save on some pellets.

I modified the burn pot by cutting grooves every two rows and it works great, pilot mode all night and it kept the house at 69 ,was a low of 38 Last night, looking forward to colder weather for once!

Status
Not open for further replies.