Whitfield Advantage III Funny Auger Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2010
Southern NH
Last night my Whitfield Advantage III's auger started making a funny noise like scraping, singing crickets sound??? (really weird sound) Sometimes it stops for awhile and comes back never had noise before? Any suggestions? Comments (good ones now). The stove runs good no problems just this noise?

I have a Whitfield Quest and the auger has started doing the squeal when I start it up, then it seems to stop when it warms up

Northeaster2010 said:
Last night my Whitfield Advantage III's auger started making a funny noise like scraping, singing crickets sound??? (really weird sound) Sometimes it stops for awhile and comes back never had noise before? Any suggestions? Comments (good ones now). The stove runs good no problems just this noise?

Have you changed pellet brands recently? I had some sounds similar to those last year when I burned certain brands of pellets. As soon as I changed brands, noise went away.

I would recommend pulling the back off the stove and then run it, so you can get up close and personal and see whats making the noise.

Could be the auger bearing or possibly the motor itself.

Keep us posted

Snowy

Thanks everyone, it is the auger bushing, its worn pretty good. The auger is scraping against the bearing plate. Getting one this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.