Whitfield auger motor has me stumped this weekend!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lrm1995

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
North Country NY
Hello all. I sure hope one of you smart lads or lasses can help me with my 1990ish Whitfield stove. It uses a Dayton 1LNG2A auger motor which was new last Feb (2008). Here's the problem.

1. When I press START, the blower motor comes on as usual.
2. When I press the auger button, the red indicator light comes on intermittently (as it would if the auger was spinning and feeding pellets. Please note, there is NO SOUND from the auger motor at all.
3. When checking the auger motor position, I noticed some play (about 1/2" or so) when I pushed the auger motor toward the hopper. I hadnt noticed that before.
4. Ive had the auger motor removed. I was able to turn the shaft with the wrench and heard/felt the gear(s) turning smoothly inside.
5. I do not trust myself with operating a multimeter correctly and Im not even sure mine would still work. However, when I hooked it up to the auger motor leads and plugged in stove, there was no needle dance at 210v.

Any ideas? Its frigid here in Upsate NY and I would truly appreciate any assistance offered. I think Im handy enough to be able to follow your instructions and work out a solution. I cant believe the motor would be shot on this stove, not yet.

PS: To my knowledge, there is no thermostat controls on this earlier model, and no reset switch or sensor switches of any kind but I could be wrong,

Question: Since my blower is getting power, can I assume Ive blown a fuse (if any) or have a shorted wire? Im not even sure how to talk about this stuff correctly, but thanks for any help - Lew

Did you try reseting the high (over fired ) temperature shut off snap disk or the fuse that is in the auger motor circuit?

Sometimes those two critters are what shuts down augers.

If it is the high temperature snap disk you'll have to keep an eye on things as one of the primary causes of that tripping is a failing convection blower.

OU812 said:
Did you try plugging the motor directly into an outlet or checking to see if your auger is jammed?

I would try this also to see if the auger motor is working first...find an old lamp cord w/ a plug, strip the ends, wrap around the leads from the auger, tape one of them to eliminate a short circuit, and plug it in....if it runs, then obviously it's an electronic issue in the stove, as Smokey mentioned above.

Oh, and BTW, DO NOT turn the output shaft on an auger motor with pliers or anything else......the gears inside are NOT meant to be turned backward from that shaft, and you could break teeth on them.

OU812: If you meant taking the leads and stuffing them into an outlet, then NO. I would not know how to plug the motor itself in directly to an outlet, but I will try anything once with enough of a hint. I dont believe its a matter of the auger jamming. The motor was removed from the auger shaft itself. Its like there's no power generation inside, yet the red light comes on in the control box as it would if the auger was working properly- very odd. Any pther tips will be greatly appreciated. Im ALL EARS! Thanks for your help.

Smokey- thanks for your advice. please say more about reseting the switch you mention or the fuse in/at the auger motor circuit. In my tinkering today I did not notice anything that remotely looked like anything you mention. Where and How please? Thanks a lot.

Just like macman said above find an old lamp cord and connect that to your auger motor and see if it turns while it is directly plugged in. Sometimes the motor turns very slowly (1RPM) so watch the shaft for about 30 secs or so. I am not familiar with snap disks but you might want to try Smokeys suggestion first as it may be an easier fix. You can plug the auger motor leads directly into an outlet but using an old cord would be your safest bet. Just cut the cord and attach it to your auger leads with a wire nut or electrical tape and plug it in. Also check out some of the troubleshooting guides available like this one. Keep us updated and dont give up!

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm

lrm1995,

In the book that describes how the stove operates there should be a troubleshooting section.

It is there that you should find mention of the high temperature shut off system. It is a protection system that should shut the stove down in a certain manner to prevent creating a slag pile on your hearth.

When the snap disk senses more than a certain temperature (usually 250 degrees) where the sensor is placed it assumes that the stove is running to hot and causes the auger to stop. All other fans should continue to run. Once the stove cools down the stove will then turn off. The snap disc has a little red button in the middle that is a push to reset button. Once you reset the snap disc you should be able to turn the stove back on.

There is also a fuse (usually on the control board) that will blow if the auger motor jams (we hope) due to an over current situation.

If the fuse is blown you'll have to free up the auger jam and replace the fuse in order to restart the stove.

All of this information should be in the trouble shooting section of your operation manual.

I believe the whitfields have a limit switch that breaks the neutral to the auger, can't recall if that is a snap disc or the vacuum switch...
so chances are the board is sending power to the motor (if the light is coming on) it just doesn't have a neutral to complete the circuit..
And yes like macman said, you don't want to force a gearmotor to turn by turning the output shaft..

Smokey and All- this is really good info and you have given me some peace of mind tonight that my auger motor is fine. I plugged it into a wall outlet as you suggested and the thing purrs like a kitten! It turns the auger shaft a complete rotation (takes about a minute all told) No problems there. I will look for the red reset button. I sure hope I can find it. I will KICK MYSELF if this is it. But will be relieved in the end! Thanks again.

I'd see if I could find it in the manual first ... I don't have that stove but somewhere there is a trouble shooting guide and it should help you find things.

I know exactly where things are on my beast because I have a convection fan that thermals off and then my high limit snap disc snaps off and the auger stops. It is quicker for me to reset that and retry things instead of trying to empty the hopper to free a jam.

Your stove may have an auto reset limit disc some stoves do/did.

There are several Whitfield owners on here that may be able to help you.

GVA- thanks. I havent located anything with a red button on it for resetting, or any buttons for that matter other than those in the control panel for blower and auger. This is a very simple stove. It doesnt even have the thermostat that Im sure yours' have come with these days. Id love to know what/where the "neutral" is and how to complete the circuit again. Much appreciated.

OU812 posted a site .....here is a link to rods wire diagrams
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf
the vac switch breaks the neutral to the auger........at least on the advantage, not sure if you mentioned your model or not...
which means either the combustion blower isn't working right or you don't have a negative pressure in the firebox......
either blocked flue or dirty stove...or plugged vac line to vacuum switch....
***********************EDIT*************************
There is also the inlet high limit switch which breaks the neutral to the stove.......

lrm1995 said:
Hello all. I sure hope one of you smart lads or lasses can help me with my 1990ish Whitfield stove. It uses a Dayton 1LNG2A auger motor which was new last Feb (2008). Here's the problem.

1. When I press START, the blower motor comes on as usual.
2. When I press the auger button, the red indicator light comes on intermittently (as it would if the auger was spinning and feeding pellets. Please note, there is NO SOUND from the auger motor at all.
3. When checking the auger motor position, I noticed some play (about 1/2" or so) when I pushed the auger motor toward the hopper. I hadnt noticed that before.
4. Ive had the auger motor removed. I was able to turn the shaft with the wrench and heard/felt the gear(s) turning smoothly inside.
5. I do not trust myself with operating a multimeter correctly and Im not even sure mine would still work. However, when I hooked it up to the auger motor leads and plugged in stove, there was no needle dance at 210v.

Any ideas? Its frigid here in Upsate NY and I would truly appreciate any assistance offered. I think Im handy enough to be able to follow your instructions and work out a solution. I cant believe the motor would be shot on this stove, not yet.

PS: To my knowledge, there is no thermostat controls on this earlier model, and no reset switch or sensor switches of any kind but I could be wrong,

Question: Since my blower is getting power, can I assume Ive blown a fuse (if any) or have a shorted wire? Im not even sure how to talk about this stuff correctly, but thanks for any help - Lew

Irm1995:

From your posting, I cannot tell which model Whitfield you have but it sounds as if you have an Advantage II (WP-2) stove, which I have owned as a fireplace insert (living room) and a self-standing (basement) for over 20 years. I've always done all the maintenance myself and have tackled the full gamut of problems from replacing control boards, hi and lo temperature limit switches, combustion and convection blowers, pressure switch, and auger motor.

Also, I cannot tell what exactly is the problem but suspect that the stove is not working because pellets are not being fed into the burn pot/combustion chamber. From your postings I gather that there's no power to the auger motor and the auger motor works because you have powered it and it rotates the shaft that connects to the auger. Also, there is no indication of a fault condition because the indicator light comes on and off indicating that the auger motor is being powered according to the feed rate that you set with the control panel button (it actually controls a potentiometer that adjusts the duty-cycle (on-off) of the auger motor). If the red light comes on and dims, it indicates that the combustion blower is not working or not developing enough vacuum to pull the pressure switch that allows the auger motor to run. The pressure switch will not complete the auger circuit if the combustion motor is dead, running slowly because of resistance on the impeller due to excessive ash inside the housing, or does not develop sufficient air flow because the exhaust pipe is clogged. A way to determine if there's a problem with the combustion air blower is to attach a small diameter hose to the pressure switch (looks like a large dial and has a small hose that connects to the combustion blower or side, the small hose is typically too short for you to be able to use it for this test) and create a vacuum by sucking on the hose. If the auger motor starts moving, you may have a problem with the combustion blower or something is blocking the exhaust flow. Check for ash in the exhaust pipe. Typically, there's T-shape fitting that allows the exhaust pipe to be cleaned. Look into where the T connects to the stove and clean that, too. Also, check the small hose that connects the pressure switch to the combustion air blower or side to make sure is not cracked or burned. If the hose is not in good condition, it may leak and prevent the pressure switch from operating properly. Check the fitting that connects the hose to the blower or side as it may be clogged and prevents the pressure switch from completing the circuit.

If the above doesn't solve your problem, then the problem may be in the Hi or Low temperature snap switches. A useful site to troubleshoot problems with pellet stoves is http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm. Please note that the site talks about the pressure switch but it describes a normally closed pressure switch. However, if you have an early model Whitfield Advantage II WP-2, the pressure switch is normally open and closes the circuit to the auger when the diaphragm is pulled by the vacuum that the combustion blower generates when the system is working properly...

One last point... the fact that there's no apparent power to the auger and the control board does not report a fault condition via the red light (i.e., steady on or on/dim) is troublesome. It leads me to believe that the problem may be in the control board. But...you need to rule out problems with the pressure switch, or temperature limit switches before confirming that you need to replace the control board.

Good luck troubleshooting the issue. Let us know how you make out.

Very Respectfully,

deuce

PS.: As additional insights... to rule out that the auger is not jammed. Grab the motor and rotate it in a circular motion, the resistance of the reduction gears should allow you rotate the auger. Observe the collar that attaches the reduction gear shaft to the auger, it should move indicating rotation of the auger. Also, check that the collar screw is tight against the flat part of the shaft as a loose screw may give you the impression that the motor is working properly but in reality the auger doesn't move when the screw is loose. Also, in older Whitfields, there is a significant gap between the auger shaft and the hopper. This causes the fines to fall through the gap and end up forming a nice mound of pellet dust under the auger motor. Unfortunately, the convection blower picks up the fines and blows them through the heat exchanger tubes. The result is that the room where the stove sits is covered with a fine layer of pellet dust. This is a telltale that you have an older Whitfield. Do you have that problem?

Deuce can have a laugh on me this evening. My mouth now tastes like the bottom of a fire-pit! Thanks for the suggestion to "suck on the hose"! And no, the auger motor did not turn when I tried it. The "T" pipe on the back has a "clean-out" cap on the bottom which was full of black soot that probably fell after I took a rubber mallet all along the pipes to loosen dirt.
All you guys keep mentioning switches and fuses that I cant locate because 1. I dont know where to look, or 2. my stove does not have it. My serial # on the hopper lid is WH-Q10695. Does this mean its a Quest? I think you're right about the Advantage II because the photo I found online greatly resembles the stove in my living room. I wish I could find my owner manual so to eliminate all the guesswork.
Im calling LennoxHearth tomorrow. They have a tech guy on the opposite end of their 800-line that may be able to talk me through it. Im really thinking this will turn out to be a really simple solution once Im on to it.
Thanks for all your efforts to help me.

Here is a link that may get you started on finding a manual:

Code:
http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/775096 E- Advantage IIT(II & CO).pdf

According to that manual (if that is your stove) there are two auto reseting (yep if they work that is) high limit switches and two fuses for that stove. One of the fuses is for the igniter.

I could only find one fuse on the the wiring diagram, likely the other is on the control board.

Sorry you'll have to do a copy and paste on that link, I haven't figured out the forum's html handling yet.

Gents; I am really happy with your kind support. Good news: The stove is running great tonight but its not "fixed". I put a paper clip between the two wires leading to the vacuum switch, effectively bypassing it and "tricking" the control board into thinking everything is fine. what are some safer remedies? can I afford to wait til I need to clean it next week before swapping out a vacuum switch (if I have to)?

Is it possible that the red hose running down and away from this switch is blocked, clogged, bent or leaking(?) at the opposite end? If so, how do I reach it from the back of the stove? Id really like to explore all the possibilities instead of blindly replacing components. Oh yea, the Lennox tech guy told me based on my serial # that is an older QUEST WP4 model stove. If anybody has a pdf file or link for a downloadable copy of it, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks for everything youve put on here to help me out!

Irm1995:

Sorry that you got a mouthful of ash! Next time I'll be more specific if I advise someone to "suck on something"!. No, I wouldn't laugh at you but I have to confess that I chuckled a little.

I checked the wiring diagram for the Quest (see http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf) and verified that the advise below is correct since the Quest uses a normally open vacuum switch.

You obviously found the little hose or tubing that connects the vacuum (also referred as presssure) switch to the stove. The problem is that you sucked on the wrong end. If you would have disconnected the hose from the end that connects to a fitting at the stove and left one end connected to the pressure switch, you could have sucked on the hose and tested whether the vacuum switch works. If the vacuum switch works correctly, the suction would pull the switch into a closed state, completing the circuit that powers the auger motor. The vacuum switch is a safety feature to preclude the operation of the stove when there is a blockage in the exhaust or the combustion blower fails. However, most problems with vacuum switches are due to obstructions in the fitting that connects the hose or tubing to the stove or the tube itself as it deteriorates over time and develops leaks. When trying to disconnect the tube, it's better to rotate until it looses its grip on the fitting. Pulling the tube may cause it to tear or break off. There isn't much tubing there to give you a lot of slack, so be careful. The typically red tubing is not ordinary, it's meant to withstand the high temperature near the combustion chamber. So if you need to replace it, it's best to get it from a stove parts dealer. To clear any obstruction in the fitting that connects to the stove, you can disconnect the tube at the vacuum switch and BLOW on it. The purpose is to dislodge the potential obstruction from the fitting. If this doesn't work, you can try pressurized air. Be careful not to use flammable "canned air", if the stove is running. A safer method is to disconnect the tube at the stove end and use a small wire to clear the fitting.

Good luck. Hopefully, the problem is not the vacuum switch itself as it's a more expensive repair.

VR

deuce

That's funny! It reminds me of cleaning the aquarium and trying siphon water out of the tank without sucking in a mouthful of it which I have done many times. Just be glad your sucking ashes and not trying to siphon gas our of a car or something like that. I will be waiting for the results of which pellets you think taste the best! :)

lrm1995 said:
Deuce can have a laugh on me this evening. My mouth now tastes like the bottom of a fire-pit! Thanks for the suggestion to "suck on the hose"! And no, the auger motor did not turn when I tried it. The "T" pipe on the back has a "clean-out" cap on the bottom which was full of black soot that probably fell after I took a rubber mallet all along the pipes to loosen dirt.
All you guys keep mentioning switches and fuses that I cant locate because 1. I dont know where to look, or 2. my stove does not have it. My serial # on the hopper lid is WH-Q10695. Does this mean its a Quest? I think you're right about the Advantage II because the photo I found online greatly resembles the stove in my living room. I wish I could find my owner manual so to eliminate all the guesswork.
Im calling LennoxHearth tomorrow. They have a tech guy on the opposite end of their 800-line that may be able to talk me through it. Im really thinking this will turn out to be a really simple solution once Im on to it.
Thanks for all your efforts to help me.

===

"Deuce can have a laugh on me this evening. My mouth now tastes like the bottom of a fire-pit! Thanks for the suggestion to “suck on the hose”! "

___

Thanks for one of the best laughs I've had in a Looong time...and thanks for being big enought to post it...reminds me of the story of the guy that that was siphoning gas form RV's and got his hose into the holding tank...I know,, but the thought is hililarious

Status
Not open for further replies.