Whitfield auger not working?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timcarp

Feb 11, 2018
PNW
Hello all thanks in advance to those that take the time and read this and maybe offer a suggestion.
I have a early 90’s Whitfield pellet stove that has alway been very dependable with a few minor repairs.
The auger stoped working in my attempt to troubleshoot I bypassed the vacuum switch and the auger started working. Thinking I had it figure out I left the jumper wire in ordered the switch and put the stove back together and got a fire started. Everything worked great for about two hours then the auger stoped working again. Pulled the auger motor and it bench test good, seems to be gettig power to the auger motor. Is there another switch that could be shutting down the motor? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks
Tim C

Hi Tim welcome to the forums, we need a little bit more info on your stove what year and what model.

It’s a early 90’s about 93 or 94, Advantage 2-T, I did a little more today and I’m going to order a new motor bench testing it runs fine but installed under a load it starts strong but slowes to the point to where you have to be touching it to make sure its moving then after it gets to another point in it’s rotation it will run stronger. Now please if there is something else I should be checking please chime in.
tim C

It’s a early 90’s about 93 or 94, Advantage 2-T, I did a little more today and I’m going to order a new motor bench testing it runs fine but installed under a load it starts strong but slowes to the point to where you have to be touching it to make sure its moving then after it gets to another point in it’s rotation it will run stronger. Now please if there is something else I should be checking please chime in.
tim C

I have an older Whitfield Quest........I had some issues with the auger slowing down or stopping, and same as you sometimes needed to push it along.

My issue was some dirty pellets which clogged up the pellet chute with a lot of sawdust. I thought it was the motor as well......now I have a spare just in case.

You may need to pull the auger shaft and inspect the bushings and bearings. Look for wear on the ends where the auger may have made contact.

I had that problem in one of my Whitfields, I removed the auger motor and tested it and it seemed to work alright, put it back and it wouldn't work. I bought a new auger motor and everything worked just fine. The old motor was just worn out, it didn't have the torque to turn the auger. it was twenty years old, so it had done enough.

Only two things shut OFF the power to the auger on that model. The pressure switch and an overheat switch. Either will cut power to the auger. If this is the first auger motor, then it is most likley worn from 20 years of work. Also check the bottom bushing on the auger where it is connected. They make a fiber plastic replacement part. Make sure the auger ( when empty of pellets) can turn easily by hand.

Thanks eveyone ended up replacing a motor that bench tested fine but would get weak under a load, replaced the pressure switch but ended up by passing it to get the motor to work (yes everything is clean and unplugged) and I replaced the bottom auger bushing, was got to do the top bushing but couldn’t get the old one out. Stove is working great thanks again for all the help.
Tim C