whitfield freestanding blowing cold air in 4 corners??? pic included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt

Dec 9, 2009
gresham, oregon
this is an older stove...1988 serial plate says wh-1183

fired it up in the garage to check everything out (ran the pipe out the garage door)..had it blazing good for over an hour...it was putting out some fierce heat!!!!..i couldnt stand very close to it!!!!

i noticed that it was blowing cold air out the 4 corner areas that i circled on my pic...looks like the sheetmetal has factory cutt outs there...is it suposed to be doing that???...i didnt have the oak hooked up,...but it was in the cold garage with the door partially opend for the pipe...

Attachments

• DSCN0771#2.jpg
    DSCN0771#2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 354
Yes this a very early Whitfield Advantage, as years progressed they changed it , I've worked on stove's 1990-1991 that just have the top side vents. It take the stove along time to get heat out the side vents, I would think it's even longer for the lower vents. I think they changed around 1992 -1993. I love these old stoves, I'm working on a 1991 Advantage Insert right now.

I see by your location that the stove did not travel that far from the factory (washington)

after a search,..i found that removing the fake firebrick, would reveal some more cleaning...i pulled the firebrick last night and noticed it was jam packed on both sides...fully compacted!!!!...i took the shop vac to it and damn near filled it up....

another question,..my firebrick is just that white foam looking stuff....is there supposed to be something attached to the front of that?,..or is that just for decoration...it looks as if something was at one point glued to the front of that white foam sections??

ive searched e-bay and that stuff isnt cheap!!...but all the stuff ive found looks like bricks...

joedirt said:
after a search,..i found that removing the fake firebrick, would reveal some more cleaning...i pulled the firebrick last night and noticed it was jam packed on both sides...fully compacted!!!!...i took the shop vac to it and damn near filled it up....

another question,..my firebrick is just that white foam looking stuff....is there supposed to be something attached to the front of that?,..or is that just for decoration...it looks as if something was at one point glued to the front of that white foam sections??

ive searched e-bay and that stuff isnt cheap!!...but all the stuff ive found looks like bricks...
just incase you did not find the removable baffle behind the brick here is some photos
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

more cleaning tips are located in the Yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room

hearthtools said:
joedirt said:

just incase you did not find the removable baffle behind the brick here is some photos
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

more cleaning tips are located in the Yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room

thanks for the advise...i was looking at those photos...mine was packed full to the top on each side...rock solid..i could barely poke my finger through it.....from what ive read here,..im suprised it was running for a few hours and blazing good and hot...espeacially for such an old stove...i cant wait to fire it up after its fully cleaned

joedirt said:

The Whit foam is the original Refractory.
the standard Firebrick replacement Brick pattern firebrick set #12146500 WILL NOT FIT your stove yours are Taller than that firebrick kit
I have had use the Whitfield CUT to fit Refractory. it comes in one sheet that is large enough for all three pieces but you have to cut the them to size and the hole.
Bruce from Woodheatstoves.com said that he now has custom firebrick to fit the early stoves but im still skeptical that they fit.
you have to take measurements and see if they have something that matches.

Did you also remove the Metal baffle that is behind the brick? you will find chambers that go to the combuston blower that will need to be cleaned.
you will find a lot more ash back in there.

no i havnt removed them,..i stumbled upon your pics today at work,..im gunna tear it down again tonight when i get home and see what i can find...not sure if the whit foam can take another removal...lol

im trying to get everything cleaned and working properly before i install it in the house, that way most of the dirt and ash stayes out in the garage...plus its nice to "test it out" while working in a cozy warm garage....lol

great site by the way...lotsa good info here

joedirt said:
no i havnt removed them,..i stumbled upon your pics today at work,..im gunna tear it down again tonight when i get home and see what i can find...not sure if the whit foam can take another removal...lol

im trying to get everything cleaned and working properly before i install it in the house, that way most of the dirt and ash stayes out in the garage...plus its nice to "test it out" while working in a cozy warm garage....lol

great site by the way...lotsa good info here

If you have it outside you can blast out all nooks and crannies with a Leave blower or Air compressor

The brick "should" be held on the sides by metal plates along the sides. Two screws hole them on, just loosen them and they slide up and out over the screw holes.
Advantage II method

Status
Not open for further replies.