Whitfield pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmichigan

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2014
michigan
Hi guys i'm looking at a used Whitfield stove and wondering if anyone has experience with this model. he guy is asking 350 bucks and he bought a cabin and never used it. I'm going to look at it the 19th (Saterday) and see if i can fire it up and look it over. What should I look for in this stove, I run a CAB50 in my house and this would be for my insulated garage.

00r0r_7KpTrkvbm5N_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_8ILfGQMEmGD_600x450.jpg 00K0K_4B5iGUZfct3_600x450.jpg

Well it's a wp4 quest and it was dirty but fired up and ran fine. I let it burn about 30 minutes and it seemed ok to me. I got it for 260 bucks. Now to do a full clean.

Whitfields seem to be tough ... good price! Keep us posted on how she cleans up and runs.

Boy the guy I bought it from said the previous owner didn't clean anything, he was right! It took almost 2 hours to unplug. I'm surprised it even fired up the exhaust was full and so was the vacuum line. All the fans where flat they had so much dust and soot built up. Needless to say I gutted it and did a full blown deep clean, ordered the rope and gaskets and should be fired up this weekend.

I have a pdf of the manual if you need it. Careful with the fireboard. Mine is broke and have a bucket of refractory to cast a new one.

Been running a Whitfield Quest for the last 10 years, came with the house I purchased.

I'd say it's about 15-20 years old and still going strong!! I have replaced the blower motor and auger motor in the past couple years, cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Fire bricks can be purchased online for about $70.

I've completely tore it down for a deep cleaning. All new gaskets and door seal. Still messing with the controls to get a good burn but works great for and old stove

Reactions: Lake Girl
Been running a Whitfield Quest for the last 10 years, came with the house I purchased.

I'd say it's about 15-20 years old and still going strong!! I have replaced the blower motor and auger motor in the past couple years, cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Fire bricks can be purchased online for about $70.

I have a question I was given a Quest and it had a bad auger motor and fire brick. I have replaced both and have it working fairly well but the convection blower kicks in and out as random times is that normal? Can’t see why it would based on the wire diagram.

According to a manual, you have a Hi/Low button. I would assume something is wrong there. I would write to HeatWave Electronics and ask if it's the button. Most likely that switch just uses more of the coils in the motor for high speed. If it's just stopping for 30 seconds or so, I would suspect a loose wire, loosing connection, then getting contact again. It could be a bad motor. Any chance to safely and directly give it 120 V for a good hour and see if it turns off when it's bypassing everything. Maybe rust on the connectors ?
HeatWave E-mail ([email protected] ) 530-820-3700

Could also have a failing snap disc but as butkus points out the motor may be full of dust bunnies or a dry failing bearing causeing the over temperature safety to shut the motor down

I have a question I was given a Quest and it had a bad auger motor and fire brick. I have replaced both and have it working fairly well but the convection blower kicks in and out as random times is that normal? Can’t see why it would based on the wire diagram.

Is the convection blower unstable on both settings?