Budget pellet stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LappeLynne

I am replacing my ancient Whitfield with a new stove . I am a widow on a fixed income ..so looking for a budget stove . I have been looking at Drolet and Comfortbuilt models . Both seem to have some very good and some very poor reviews. I’m in a quandary. Or suggestions for other brands

I am replacing my ancient Whitfield with a new stove . I am a widow on a fixed income ..so looking for a budget stove . I have been looking at Drolet and Comfortbuilt models . Both seem to have some very good and some very poor reviews. I’m in a quandary. Or suggestions for other brands
In person service would be important to me. Do you have anyone local that will service those brands? I don’t have any experience with their pellet products but Drolet makes a decent wood stove and has good customer service.

The Comfortbuilt models are made in China
The Drolet stoves are Canadian-made in Quebec
Which do you prefer No brainer for me the North American Built Stove

Reactions: scajjr2
Why do you want to change out the stove? For me and it was not by choice it was cheaper to replace all the electrical in the stove than it was to replace the stove. New stove in my area starting at about 5g replacing everything in my stove with oem around $1500. But i was also able to do everything myself

Why do you want to change out the stove? For me and it was not by choice it was cheaper to replace all the electrical in the stove than it was to replace the stove. New stove in my area starting at about 5g replacing everything in my stove with oem around $1500. But i was also able to do everything myself
Good point I will check it out ….I know I have to get parts from US so shipping and exchange and duty really adds up

In person service would be important to me. Do you have anyone local that will service those brands? I don’t have any experience with their pellet products but Drolet makes a decent wood stove and has good customer service.
I also have a Drolet solid wood stove and I can’t speak to their customer service because I haven’t needed it ! I am definitely leaning towards the Drolet , I have been scared off by a few really bad reviews . They could also be from people that don’t have a clue about properly cleaning and maintaining them .My neighbour has an Englander (also made by SBI group) and she has had no issues , plus it is easy to clean .

Reactions: EbS-P
Good point I will check it out ….I know I have to get parts from US so shipping and exchange and duty really adds up
yes im from canada as well.. so we pay just about double the price..

On a side note i usually keep spare blowers and limit switches on had so if something does go bad during the winter im not down for 2 weeks waiting for the parts. Only thing i had to order last year that i did not have on hand was a new control board. THe stove still worked with the old board just had a weird startup. Only reason the control board went out is one of the blowers seized up and somehow took out the board..