Whitfield pro 30 insert. Fuse keeps blowing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Clients wife calls. Says The augers not working in her Whitfield stove her husband was back in there and something sparked. Now stove wont work. OK.
.Cleaned the vent pipes top to bottom. Two buckets of ash come out. Jumped the auger to 110, Auger works fine. Plug in stove ...No lights. Check fuses in Panel. Find a 3.5 fuse blown. Fuse not available in Canada. (ordered some fuses) In the mean time Replace with a 5 amp fuse. Plug it in, press the button and fuse blows. I dont know what he did to cause the spark or what tool he used.

So trouble shoot . Check wiring to see what the fuse connects to. Find the short, replace fuse. Turn on stove and carry on with normal trouble shoot. Check the proof of flame camera , Pressure switch and tube to exhaust, Etc. Etc.
Not much to go on but any ideas on tracking the short. The vent pipes where so bad Im sure that was the original problem I hope. This is a Whitfield 30 fireplace insert on main floor of house. I will return when fuse,s come in ( had to buy bag of 10)

Sounds to me like you're in for a board replacement or repair. Sparks mean something probably got shorted to ground and took out something(s) on the board.

If you have a meter, make sure nothing in the harness is grounding out. Baring that, probably board.

Depending on the item that was shorted it more than likely took out the triac and optoisolater for that particular circuit and triacs fail to a shorted condition. Which blows fuses.

Thank you all for the support and words of wisdom.
Ssyko. If you could give me a little more on the triac and optoisolater ...How do I check them ? Do I remove them from the board. This is unknown territory for me. What I was thinking was to disconnect all the players, Fans, switches, etc then if stove starts without blowing the fuse start plunging them back in.My friend was over there the other day and replaced the fuse with the proper 3.5 am fuse. As soon as he pushed the start button the fuse poped. Then he installed a 5 amp fuse it ran for 10 min.and poped. I also found out that the stove is not a pro 30 insert but an Vantage 2 T and still waiting for SN. Its in a rental home not easy to access.

FYI I live in a rather isolated area . There are no service tecks around at all. The closest city is a 4hr drive one way. The places that sell these pellet stoves provide no support .You buy a stove You're on your own. They wont sell you a pellet stove if it's the only heat source.

This is a great forum. I found a post from 2014
Whitfield Profile-30 (Lennox branded) blows fuse on circuit board
Very informative if you have a Whitfield stove.