Whitfield Quest Jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yeahhdad

May 6, 2022
04732, Ashland, ME, USA
Hello,

I have a Whitfield Quest that recently experienced an issue. I noticed it wasn't feeding pellets well/consistently so I took the back off and noticed the auger motor was attempting to turn the auger, but could not. I assumed it was a jam, took the auger out, cleaned everything, back together, and it works for about 10 minutes before not moving again.

I then thought maybe it was the motor, ordered a new one, installed it, seemed to work good for about 15 minutes, then same issue. I took the motor off and cleaned it again. I put just a few pellets in and tried to hand turn it. I noticed almost immediately that it was very hard to turn. When I looked inside the hopper I noticed pellets seem to be getting under the bottom of the auger, and are at the perfect width where they are jamming at the bottom between the motor mount plate and the bottom spiral of the auger.

Below is a picture of my auger. It does not seem to be bent at all, I rolled it on a flat surface quite a bit and don't see that being an issue. If I look at new augers online they have what looks like a bend at the bottom spiral that I believe "sweeps" the pellets at the bottom forward rather than allowing them to get under it. I'm wondering if over time my auger has just worn that off and perhaps I can get someone to weld a small piece on to gain that function again?

Curious what others thoughts on before I get too far. Anyone had a similar issue?

I like the welding idea. I would also try wrapping a temporary collar in that space so pellets don't get in there. Maybe try looking the fastener aisle at HD.

The issue is most likely you have a bad bronze auger bushing. Many years ago Dr Whitfield realized that issue and developed his space age Nylatron Auger bushing and end plate. He then sent a memo to all his dealers to upgrade their existing stock. The lubrication in the bronze bushings dries up and sometimes they gouge up and get frozen onto the auger so the bushing will turn in the end plate and feed pellets erratically! The new Nylatron bushing is permanently lubricated and lasts a very long time. I have recently seen this problem on a 30 year old Whitfield Advantage I because some stoves were sold before the upgrade.
That looks like your problem from what I have seen
See my pics here

A4F7C011-9463-4F91-A3FA-9B6ABA37B155.png

Last edited: