Whitfield Quest plus FastFire igniter box question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark D

Sep 24, 2017
Ferndale
I have a Whitfield Quest plus model WH-Q (WP4) with the optional FastFire self-igniter kit. On the igniter block (part# 12150210) I do not have any voltage where the leads to the igniter connect. I would think I should see 120v. Does this mean the igniter box is bad?

Hello Mark D,

The igniter block has a one shot timer that energizes a relay with contacts giving power to the igniter. I found a pic of the FastFire igniter kit. This is the kit you have, right?
We cannot see what is under the red cardboard, but i would guess that the female and male plugs are inserted into the existing wire harness giving mains power to the relay and start signal to the one shot timer when the start button is pressed.. Maybe there's a bad connection in these insertion plugs? So my suggestion is to unplug stove and unseat/reseat the connectors a couple of times to clean away any oxydation. A spray of some contact cleaner is good here.
Timer block igniter kit.jpg

Hello Mark D,

The igniter block has a one shot timer that energizes a relay with contacts giving power to the igniter. I found a pic of the FastFire igniter kit. This is the kit you have, right?
We cannot see what is under the red cardboard, but i would guess that the female and male plugs are inserted into the existing wire harness giving mains power to the relay and start signal to the one shot timer when the start button is pressed.. Maybe there's a bad connection in these insertion plugs? So my suggestion is to unplug stove and unseat/reseat the connectors a couple of times to clean away any oxydation. A spray of some contact cleaner is good here.
Thank you for the suggestion. I had disconnected the connection to the igniter block (black box in the picture) and the connections were clean. There is another connection I will check on the other end of the wire harness. The other connection will require some additional disassembly. I do have some contact cleaner so I will try to clean both connectors.

I have a Whitfield Quest plus model WH-Q (WP4) with the optional FastFire self-igniter kit. On the igniter block (part# 12150210) I do not have any voltage where the leads to the igniter connect. I would think I should see 120v. Does this mean the igniter box is bad?

I just wanted to update because I did fix the igniter that was not working. I had already tested the igniter so I knew it was okay. I replaced the FastFire Igniter box (One-shot) and had 120 volts coming out of the igniter box where the leads to the igniter attach. Getting the pellet stove working again should make my wife happy.

Congrats on your now working igniter. Very difficult to troubleshoot/repair the igniter box, since all the timer components seem to be hidden under a mold of epoxy. Only visible component is the relay. See pictures below.

Another thing, Mark D: Your pellet stove has to be the regular Quest, since you have the add-on igniter kit. I have the Quest Plus, and it came with factory installed igniter. The Quest Plus has the newer and more advanced touch pad control board.
The one shot timer and relay for the igniter are both integrated on the Quest Plus control board.

A quick way to tell a regular Quest from a Quest Plus: Oval shaped pellet drop chute = regular Quest. Rectangular shaped drop chute = Quest Plus.

Stay warm and safe.

Whitfield Quest and Advantage Igniter Add on Kit'''''.jpg Whitfield Quest and Advantage Igniter Add on Kit''''''.jpg Whitfield Quest and Advantage Igniter Add on Kit'''''''.jpg

Congrats on your now working igniter. Very difficult to troubleshoot/repair the igniter box, since all the timer components seem to be hidden under a mold of epoxy. Only visible component is the relay. See pictures below.

Another thing, Mark D: Your pellet stove has to be the regular Quest, since you have the add-on igniter kit. I have the Quest Plus, and it came with factory installed igniter. The Quest Plus has the newer and more advanced touch pad control board.
The one shot timer and relay for the igniter are both integrated on the Quest Plus control board.

A quick way to tell a regular Quest from a Quest Plus: Oval shaped pellet drop chute = regular Quest. Rectangular shaped drop chute = Quest Plus.

Stay warm and safe.

View attachment 200982 View attachment 200983 View attachment 200984

You are correct about having an oval chute. Now I know it is the regular Quest. I learn something everyday. Thank you again.