Who’s runnin square filed chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deets

Sep 7, 2020
Northern IL
What ya fellas got? Post up some pics of those cutters.

473C108E-CCFA-4093-9334-A9F0ED7DF98A.jpeg
71C3C34E-28F0-44D3-94EA-652EBD254538.jpeg

Did you file the tie straps between cutters?

I’ve got some but I only run it on the 5105, I’ve been running the Stihls lately. The Dolly will get broke out when I start cutting hedge posts after harvest.

Reactions: Deets
I sharpen all my chains with a Stihl 2in1. I hadn’t heard of square filing before this site, and I don’t know what it is or why you would do it.

Reactions: Deets
Lot of guys here frown on them and say they dull too quick. Those guys can’t sharpen them and can’t keep them out of the dirt either. Haven’t had my hand on a saw much in nearly a decade. Used to run chippers and switched to chisels. No comparison in my mind if they’re sharp. When I run them they stay sharp because I carried a lot of chains. Slightest bit dull, slapped a sharp one on. The dull chains were then easier to sharpen just with a file.

Reactions: JimBear
:oops:

Lot of guys here frown on them and say they dull too quick. Those guys can’t sharpen them and can’t keep them out of the dirt either. Haven’t had my hand on a saw much in nearly a decade. Used to run chippers and switched to chisels. No comparison in my mind if they’re sharp. When I run them they stay sharp because I carried a lot of chains. Slightest bit dull, slapped a sharp one on. The dull chains were then easier to sharpen just with a file.
Are you talking about round filed chisel or square filed?

With the right angles square will stay sharper longer than round. It has more support under the working corner.

As far as semi-chisel, it’s not that it stays sharper longer. It’s more so that it will still cut decent when a little dull.

To me there’s a world of difference between a new and sharp chipper versus a scary sharp chisel just by touching it with your fingers let alone how it feels that first time you ever sink a scary sharp chisel in a log. It’s like meeting that fine looking woman, “where have you been all my life”.