Who else hates getting on the roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Man this is frustrating!

So I’m down to installing the very last section and roof brace for my class A chimney and I just can’t get my self to get on the roof and lean off the edge to seat this section of pipe and screw it together.

and being that the chimney is in between a balcony and a corner I can’t do it from a ladder safety because I don’t have enough room to extend the ladder high enough which is causing me to have to lean away from the soffit preventing me from having three points of contact on the ladder.

Anybody else totally not confident on a roof? It’s seriously frustrating because now I need to find someone and pay them to help with the last 30-40 mins of work.

Anyone know anybody in the southeast of CT that wouldn’t mind doing this small job?

I have a metal roof and do not like going on it .once a year for cleaning and inspection.

I have a metal roof and do not like going on it .once a year for cleaning and inspection.
Man this is frustrating!

So I’m down to installing the very last section and roof brace for my class A chimney and I just can’t get my self to get on the roof and lean off the edge to seat this section of pipe and screw it together.

and being that the chimney is in between a balcony and a corner I can’t do it from a ladder safety because I don’t have enough room to extend the ladder high enough which is causing me to have to lean away from the soffit preventing me from having three points of contact on the ladder.

Anybody else totally not confident on a roof? It’s seriously frustrating because now I need to find someone and pay them to help with the last 30-40 mins of work.

Anyone know anybody in the southeast of CT that wouldn’t mind doing this small job?
If your gut is telling you that you shouldn’t I’d listen. Even if physically safe enough, getting very nervous on a ladder could make you shaky and make bad decisions up there. I am very careful on a ladder since getting on mine before I realized there was a good frost settled on it. Started sliding around which was pretty scary. Luckily it was on the garage and only so high up, falling even from that height the wrong way, especially on my driveway would have been bad.
I know a general roofing guy/handyman/firewood hoarder in south central CT. He’d charge you for it, of course, but he’s a good honest guy. Let me know if you’d like me to reach out to him.

I just drove through south east ct last weekend. Not that it helps now.

Rent one of the towable boom lifts? I have used these many times and are worth every penny.

Those 4 foot sections are hard to handle on a ladder!

So why are you screwing the class A sections together? My directions just said to twist them together.

So why are you screwing the class A sections together? My directions just said to twist them together.
The stuff that screws together won't disconnect when cleaning. I have had many twist lock chimneys come apart when cleaning.

I am with you, Rob.

The only thing I like less than getting on the roof is getting off the roof. That's the worst. So, I just don't do either anymore. I am old enough now that I no longer bounce.

When I had my chimney installed, I watched the guys work and gave them a check. They were on the roof with 3" of fresh, wet snow. I would have had no problem if they had told me they didn't want to do it with the snow.

Reactions: Highbeam
The stuff that screws together won't disconnect when cleaning. I have had many twist lock chimneys come apart when cleaning.

I bet that was exciting. I will admit to running my sooteater rotary cleaner CCW looking up to tighten the sections but I always thought it was a little over the top to think that it really mattered.

I bet that was exciting. I will admit to running my sooteater rotary cleaner CCW looking up to tighten the sections but I always thought it was a little over the top to think that it really mattered.
Yeah not fun. One we actually had to replace about half the chimney even though I am pretty sure it wasn't locked in properly to start with.

Went up on my metal roof once and there was morning dew on it.never thought I would go tobogganing in june

Last edited:
being that the chimney is in between a balcony and a corner I can’t do it from a ladder safety because I don’t have enough room to extend the ladder high enough which is causing me to have to lean away from the soffit preventing me from having three points of contact on the ladder.
Have a picture of it? We may be able to suggest a different way of going about it safely...

I have a 4/12 pitch roof and I will take being on top of the roof over being in the attic any day.

Well I managed to work out a deal with some friends of friends and get some help to get this project finished! Now I need to position the stove and get connector pipe to hook it up.

Thank you guys for the assistance! I wouldn’t have come nearly this far with out this site and all the great people sharing knowledge. I will be keeping You all updated asI start burning.

E7488727-7975-4902-89D6-F0ED76C864D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
I have a 12/12 standing seem metal roof. I've been up there a few time, but don't prefer it.

I have a 12/12 standing seem metal roof. I've been up there a few time, but don't prefer it.
12/12 metal!? What are you, spiderman?! !!! ;lol

I'm 78 yo and have been a climber, peak bagger, backpacker, mountain biker, and to this day I hike regularly along with cutting my own wood.
I have no limitations but my wife will not let me get on a ladder without a fight. I don't get on the roof.

12/12 metal!? What are you, spiderman?! !!! ;lol
I have a chicken ladder with pipe insulation on it so it doesn't scratch the metal. Things would be much simpler if I did have spidy skills!

Reactions: Rob_Red
I have never been good with heights but I do hunt from a climbing tree stand that’s 18 or so feet up. The only way I have made my self cope with that is I got really good fall protection gear. I think if I could harness in up on the roof I would be fine. It’s totally a mental game for me.