who is a fan of black locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
I was wondering how many like to burn black locust, that is what most of my supply right now is. I have always been told it's top notch,but a guy i know told me that it burns up fast, but i really don't believe that, what do you guys think about black locust

Burns hot and a long time like Oak, but sometimes its hard to get going.

The guy that told you it burns fast didn't offer to take it off your hands, did he? Wouldn't want you burning that sub-par firewood in your stove! ;)

-SF

I just bought a cord of seasoned (22%) black locust.
Will let you know how I like it in a few months.

I cannot stand the way it smells when it is burning! I have neighbors close by so I try to be courteous by not stinking them out! :sick: But if it was free I would still mix it in with other wood!

It does smell bad outside when its burning, but its my second favorite wood. Second only to white ash for green moisture content. Starts with around 30%.
Only looses 10% more when dry. That's why it's so good. Very high btu's. Hottest burning, fastest seasoning! I usually mix it with other woods.

It smells bad when it's smoldering, especially the bark. It needs a hot fire to burn well, so don't try to start a fire with it. But with an EPA stove running at temp all wood smells the same. I usually manage to scrounge a truckload of locust per year, would get a lot more if I could. Best overnight wood I've used.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I was wondering how many like to burn black locust, that is what most of my supply right now is. I have always been told it's top notch,but a guy i know told me that it burns up fast, but i really don't believe that, what do you guys think about black locust

All of us.

Bigg_Redd said:
All of us.

+1...I've never smelled it? Must be my black locust doesn't stink.

How do I like Black Locust? Let's put it this way; I have a seperate "stash" of what I call "kick-ass" woods for when it gets really cold out, and this season's stash is mostly Black Locust and Apple. Like Disco said, don't try to start a fire with it-but burn it on some hot coals and it'll rock your world!

Is Black Locust tough to split?

I have a chance to score a truckload this weekend, but do all my own splitting with a maul.

I've always found it to be quite easy to split, it's "brittle", for lack of a better term. I have mostly split green locust, though. Some say it gets hard to split when it dries.

I have never used a splitter. I only use a maul. Have split loads of locust. Its not the easiest but not the toughest either.

I love it and burn a ton of it. MUCH easier to split when green. I mean green as in before the saw cools down from the bucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.