Who offers black chimney pipe and fittings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nate R

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2015
Wisconsin
I'm building a cabin, and have my wood stove already on hand, a Jotul F100. The cabin has black windows, black trim, nearly black shingles, and will be very dark siding. The roof is 6/12, and the stove will be near an outside wall, in a corner of a room.
I'm planning on doing a rear exit on the F100 into a Tee, and using double wall stove pipe for lower clearances. For the Class A portion, I see the default in the market is galvalume or stainless as far as color. I'll have ~7 ft of chimney sticking out of the roof, and my wife would prefer that to be black as well.
What are my options? I've seen rumblings that brand "x" or "y" can be "special ordered" in powder coated colors....... So.. does anyone know for sure which brand(s) offer black chimney pipe as an option? Of course, high temp paint is an option, too. But I'd like to be able to look at the cost of pre-finished black options, and let my wife make a more informed decision whether we buy chimney that's already black, paint our own, or just go with stainless....

Thanks!

You will probably have to paint your Class A, unless you can convince
your wife that a black framed chimney chase might look OK.

Last edited:
Ventis will powder coat all of their chimney pipe and components. I have not had good luck getting paint to stick long term

Reactions: DAKSY
Thanks, Bholler! And good to know about paint adhesion.....
DAKSY, I hadn't thought about a chimney chase...I suppose that IS technically an option, but that will add some complexity, especially with the roof supports needed due to the chimney height above the roof.

Only Ventis? I thought there was another manuf or 2 that offered black? Anyone else? (Bumping for attention ==c )

Thanks, Bholler! And good to know about paint adhesion.....
DAKSY, I hadn't thought about a chimney chase...I suppose that IS technically an option, but that will add some complexity, especially with the roof supports needed due to the chimney height above the roof.

Only Ventis? I thought there was another manuf or 2 that offered black? Anyone else? (Bumping for attention ==c )
There may be more I am not sure

Thanks for your knowledge, Bholler! Fortunately, after laying out the options, my wife is fine with a stainless colored chimney outside, just as long as the stove pipe is black. So we'll go with what's available locally when I get to the stove install later this year.

The Earth Stove I grew up with had Class A pipe from flue collar to rain cap. It was bare stainless outdoors, but it was painted indoors. I don't know what kind of paint, but it served a 40-year life cycle without a single flaw. When I installed an Ashford in its place, all the Class A was raised up to start at the ceiling box, so some of the black has been promoted to outdoor duty and still looks fine 3 years later. It was probably a more toxic paint than what you can buy today though. Powder coat might be a good option.

When we raised the house up and put it on a new foundation, I used stainless for flashing on the exposed south side where it meets the patio. I lightly sanded the flashing and then painted it with a black Rustoleum product meant for metal. 14yrs later it still looks fine with no peeling or flaking.

Reactions: pvfjr