Who should I have inspect my stove installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Hearth Supporter
Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I installed my Harmon Oakwood my own-self about 5 yrs ago, per the Harmon Instl req'mnts and the Connecticut Builders req'mnts at the time. I did everything by the book, but took no measurement photos of the framing in the ceiling (stove is free-standing, with pipe going straight up thru vaulted ceiling).

Call me negligent or lucky so far, but I have not yet told the insurance Co. about the stove.

In order to become properly insured, I figure I first need to have the installation professionally inspected. Who would be the proper authority to do this, to present the results to the insurance Co?

I would first call your insurance agent and discuss with them their requirements. Could be a picture will suffice or it could be they want an official inspection. If they require an inspection I would ask at the building dept. who does the inspection in your local area.

As BG said . . . call the insurance company and check in with them. It seems as though insurance companies vary greatly in what they require -- some will do their own inspection, some will have you fill out a survey, some will ask for the local fire department to inspect it . . . or a combination of all the above . . . or none of the above. It really is all over the board in terms of what they will ask . . . and how much your premium may or may not go up.

One thing is true though . . . be sure to be up front with the company. My parents negelected to tell their insurance company when they switched over to heating with an OWB. Ended up having a fire . . . end result was the insurance company gave them a lot of grief, really drew out the time to pay up and the company was able to weasel out of the full replacement clause.

My gf just had her insurance company do a random walk through of her house in CT last spring. Her stove was slammed in some years ago. (That's another story, we won't go there right now) Anyway, she literally laid some slate tiles on the floor in front of the Jotul f500 Oslow, and on the door side as well, as it was sitting on a mat that was way too small for it. Giant brick "hearth" behind it, the height of the wall, single wall pipe through brick dumping into a huge (8X12 maybe) terracotta flue outside chimney.

Inspector took some pics, said all looks great, never asked for any documentation, policy noted stove, premium never changed. Not sure who her insurer is. Good luck.

I kinda wanted to have the inspection in hand before I broached the topic with the insurance co, fearing they would cancel as soon as mentioned it. But I suppose if they were going to do that, they'd do it even if I HAD the inspection.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.