Who's new saw is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
1ba5494.png

Reminds me of the vertical electric chainsaws I've recently seen.
Some people are very creative.

Never seen a gas powered cut off saw? This is not a strange creation.

Is that blade direct drive? If so where do you find a blade good for 10,000+ rpm?
At any Good Cabinet shop
All my blades are rated at 50 thousand Rpm Rim speed
Mind you they cost a lot of money but worth it

At any Good Cabinet shop
All my blades are rated at 50 thousand Rpm Rim speed
Mind you they cost a lot of money but worth it

I think you've added a zero, 5,000 rpm is pretty standard, but I'm not aware of anything that spins 50,000 rpm, outside of an extremely high speed router.

That was my first thought. Saw blades are generally run at less than 10k rpm. An 026 doesn't generate hp until over that. A worm gear drive would make for usable speeds and torque/power. My router bits run at high speed, but the bigger bits are slowed way down.

I think you've added a zero, 5,000 rpm is pretty standard, but I'm not aware of anything that spins 50,000 rpm, outside of an extremely high speed router.

My bad
Saw abour speed is normally 3600 to 5000
Just checked a new blade it can run safely to 10000 Rpm
Router bits 1 in. and under are rated at 24000 RPM

Reactions: ABMax24
I would think a setup like that with a sharp blade would be excellent for squaring up long live edge boards. I would think it would have a lot more power than a standard worm drive

Gas powered saws like this are popular amongst the Amish, and there aren't many left around. I think Homelite made quite a few.

Gas powered saws like this are popular amongst the Amish, and there aren't many left around. I think Homelite made quite a few.

Most of the Amish in our community seem to prefer battery operated tools which they charge using solar or wind.

I have seen them over the years. I think off grid folks used them for fine work (compared to a chain saw)

Most of the Amish in our community seem to prefer battery operated tools which they charge using solar or wind.
That's pretty cool, I hope to meet some Maine Amish folk after this pandemic is over.

That's pretty cool, I hope to meet some Maine Amish folk after this pandemic is over.
There is a community now up near my lakehouse in Maine. Not downeast though. Washington/Jefferson. They make some killer donuts. Also have a sawmill i assume as I've seen stacks of milled boards.

Reactions: SpaceBus

Wait, your Amish use solar powered tools? I tried talking my friend and neighbor (Amish) into mounting a flexible solar panel on the top of his buggy to keep the battery on his buggy charged. The battery is for the electric lights, which I think were recently mandated by the state, but I think they love it. It’s always parked outside and it would be almost invisible. Perfect fit! I think that got into a questionable religious gray area though. :)

The funny thing is, he brings his battery over to our barn and charges it off solar there. It just can’t be done directly on the buggy. I get a kick out of trying to decipher their rules sometimes, but I like them a lot.

Here they use lots of air tools but also run battery powered stuff. They charge off a generator or depending upon the sect may just plug into electric in the Barn

I find myself becoming more and more Amish every year!

Reactions: bholler
Here they use lots of air tools but also run battery powered stuff. They charge off a generator or depending upon the sect may just plug into electric in the Barn

Yeah, before I set up the solar system in our barn for him, my friend would take his battery five miles up the hill to charge on a friends generator. Lugging a car battery around like that is a lot of work!

I think one of the big reasons for not using electricity is to avoid becoming to dependent on the “English” and thus eventually adopting their lifestyle. I’m hoping that based on that logic, that they start switching from gas motors to solar power for everything, since it would make them even less dependent.

Speaking of English, my friend made an offhand comment one time where he referred to my wife as English. My wife is from Taiwan. :)

Yeah, before I set up the solar system in our barn for him, my friend would take his battery five miles up the hill to charge on a friends generator. Lugging a car battery around like that is a lot of work!

I think one of the big reasons for not using electricity is to avoid becoming to dependent on the “English” and thus eventually adopting their lifestyle. I’m hoping that based on that logic, that they start switching from gas motors to solar power for everything, since it would make them even less dependent.

Speaking of English, my friend made an offhand comment one time where he referred to my wife as English. My wife is from Taiwan. :)
There are lots here that have the barn connected to the grid. Others with phone and power on a pole near the house. Some use tractors some even drive cars. There are still some who use no power at all

People will justify almost anything to get what they want.