Whose wives/girl friends won't deal with the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife does good as well, helps with loading and stacking of firewood.
I do remember last year she forgot to engage the cat and had the door cracked, stove top temp of 700 when i got home.
Needless to say she will never do that one again.

This says it all....and that's a friendly gesture she's given. Those are HER pair of Stihl gloves BTW. She doesn't want me posting the pics of her running the splitter. Just last night she made a batch of homemade firestarters for the season! Dixie cup, pine chips, wax. I would say that she's very much into the wood heat group!

Attachments

• IMG00162(2).jpg
    IMG00162(2).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 796
wife helped with stacking and such , but not loading , she couldnt start a fire in the stove with a gallon of napalm and a gun to her head. just never had the knack. we switched to pellet in 04 she fought me tooth and nail until i pressed on and it lit itself , she's a devoted pellet head now. some folks just arent woodstove types i guess.

i thnk some women look at the stove as "its a man thing" others jump right in and do the full monte. people are different

CrappieKeith said:
Bobbin said:
That's an easy one, Keith! art, design, and beauty are important ways to underscore our humanity. I think it ties into our need to come home and be surrounded with things we love and carry our heritage from generation to the next. Do you have things you've inherited from a cherished grandparent/parent? then you understand.

I believe we've managed to achieve both here in our home. A handsome, easy to operate stove that blends nicely with all the inherited furniture that reminds us both of our youth and our families. I love hauling out my grandmother's laundry rack and setting it up in front of our Fireview. I love using her sock stretchers to maintain the size and shape of my husband's wool socks, the same way I love using my great-grandmother's china for Sunday dinners. (her fish forks and knives, too, lol!, your's is a beauty!).

I love knowing how to use and manage our woodstove and I like getting the wood ready a year in advance of its use. The same way I like knowing how to use the oil lamps when the power goes out. For me, there is something comforting about the relative simplicity of knowing how to "do for myself" when all the modern conveniences are not longer available.

Geeze Louise.....do you have a sister?

so you know I get your view....then it is what it is as far as stoves go,
not all women share your views. Too bad!

Hey- Bobbin- if you have a sister and she's in New England, I live a lot closer than Crappie Keith! :) And I have a nice older Alladin oil lamp and my water still comes by gravity from a spring that reliable sources tell me is even older than my house- which is from about 1830-40. I am fully Y2k ready! Back to the topic, I've previously dated a few women that insisted that they wanted only a fireplace, no woodstove, on account of the 'feeling.' And I will admit that there is something really appealing about an open fireplace (and I understand about cherished things- between the old house and the old tools & etc., such connections matter)-- but a fireplace by itself is not much of a way to really heat very effectively if your goal is to fully or mostly heat with wood, not oil, etc.

MofoG23 said:
My wife has no problem helping with the stove and stacking wood. Due to her size, she does not cut or split very well - which is fine by me, I enjoy that part - I hate stacking! :)

+1 !!

The husband and I were talking about stoves last night. Several of his friends have wives who refuse to touch the woodstove or wood and regularly allow the fire to die rather than feeding it routinely. My own mother refused to do any work associated with the stove they had in their home. I've never felt that way about our stoves, but why do you think that is the case with some women?

Bobbin said:
The husband and I were talking about stoves last night. Several of his friends have wives who refuse to touch the woodstove or wood and regularly allow the fire to die rather than feeding it routinely. My own mother refused to do any work associated with the stove they had in their home. I've never felt that way about our stoves, but why do you think that is the case with some women?

Couldn't tell you. My wife helps splitting, stacking, and keeping the stove going.

My wife will bring in the wood from outside, start a fire, load the stove, clean the ashes and sweep the chimney. She will, but she rarely does just because I like to do it.

My ex wouldn't it made her nervous and she made fun of me for scrounging wood , but loved to sit by the stove with a glass of wine ......... answer I don't know and don't want to..

Mine will start a fire and feed the stove (she seems to like that part) but doesn't clean out the ashes because I do it and haven't asked her to. My guess is she wouldn't be to happy about it, though. She helped with the splitting and stacking last year, but said she just can't do it this year. That's ok, we have about a cord already (that's all we burned last year), and I've got some small standing dead to cut up for burning later in the winter if necessary.

Turn off the other sources of heat...they'll come around to feeding the fire.

Really there are alot of guys that put up wet wood and keeping a fire going can be a chore.
If a guy would get a real furnace that heats a 2 loads a day he could load it in the am and in the pm making it so the gal would never have to touch it.
Guys like wood,fire. I wonder why guys hate dishes ,laundry,dusting,vacuuming.
I'd just as soon mow my yard,weed whip the trees and dig a 20 foot 2 foot deep trench every day then do household chores.

That is a pretty Crappie. Been meanin to tell you that. Same here, I'd rather push mow the neighborhood lawns for 6 hours then spend an hour doing dishes

Franks said:
That is a pretty Crappie. Been meanin to tell you that. Same here, I'd rather push mow the neighborhood lawns for 6 hours then spend an hour doing dishes
Thanks Franks!
C'mon over to my fishing forum.
www.ckoutdoors.com
I'm always posting pics and videos of our trips which include most all fresh water species.
Last week hit some smallies.
DSC03853.jpg

Getting back to the topic......if you have to load a stove that many times in a day maybe a furnace should have been the choice instead of a pretty stove,but then again most guys I talk to here at the shop say their women want a pretty stove.
So the real question is why do woman want pretty instead of functionality?

That's an easy one, Keith! art, design, and beauty are important ways to underscore our humanity. I think it ties into our need to come home and be surrounded with things we love and carry our heritage from generation to the next. Do you have things you've inherited from a cherished grandparent/parent? then you understand.

I believe we've managed to achieve both here in our home. A handsome, easy to operate stove that blends nicely with all the inherited furniture that reminds us both of our youth and our families. I love hauling out my grandmother's laundry rack and setting it up in front of our Fireview. I love using her sock stretchers to maintain the size and shape of my husband's wool socks, the same way I love using my great-grandmother's china for Sunday dinners. (her fish forks and knives, too, lol!, your's is a beauty!).

I love knowing how to use and manage our woodstove and I like getting the wood ready a year in advance of its use. The same way I like knowing how to use the oil lamps when the power goes out. For me, there is something comforting about the relative simplicity of knowing how to "do for myself" when all the modern conveniences are not longer available.

Bobbin said:

Geeze Louise.....do you have a sister?

so you know I get your view....then it is what it is as far as stoves go,
not all women share your views. Too bad!

When my wife was a child, they had a bad chimney fire and almost lost the house. She's scared to death of the stove and will not touch it. If I have to go away for the day, I make sure that the stove is set to burn as long and slowly as possible. If I come home late, and the house is cool, she'll be wearing a coat but will not have touched the stove.

When I was a kid, although we had several chimney fires, no real close calls like she did. Because of that, I learned to not fear creosote or the stove, but to respect it and how to deal with it if needed. I couldn't imagine owning a home without wood heat, and could never afford to. She realizes that too, even if she won't take an active part in it herself.

Bobbin, I do feel the real answer to your question to why some females won't pitch in and help with the wood stove is simply fear. Many just fear they will do something wrong and burn the house down. Some are afraid they will burn their skin. Some just don't want "the mess or dirty stuff." Some just feel it is a man's job. But the main thing is fear.

As for my wife, she would do the whole thing if she was capable. However, in the past several years I have not taken over almost 100% of the cutting and hauling of wood. I've almost always done all of the splitting and stacking. She takes care of the stove during the daytime and I don't remember the last time I emptied ashes from the stove. She simply feels that is her duty. She also brings in the extra wood for night.

I stated that I do all the stacking but when it comes time to stack wood near the porch in the winter, she will help with the last of it; we pile it high so I'd have to climb the steps. She doesn't like to see me do that so she comes out to help on that last bit of stacking.

So my wife just feels it is a part of the household chores and does whatever is necessary. I recall about 15 years ago when I laid in a hospital for a couple of months; she did not freeze. She kept the fire going and spent the better part of her days at the hospital.

My wife refuses to help with the wood stove dutys unless she is wearing lingerie, then shes all for it.

My wife refuses to touch the woodstove for fear that it may explode and more importantly, she will NOT touch wood as it may mess up her manicure.

My wife has no problem helping with the stove and stacking wood. Due to her size, she does not cut or split very well - which is fine by me, I enjoy that part - I hate stacking! :)

Grey., does she like to wear heels or does she opt for Merrills, instead? I'm all for aesthetics but Merrills are definitley easier than heels when toting wood in from the cold, even if they don't look so great with fishnets.

Savage, I think you're right about the fear thing. I know Mum was freaked right out by the stove. And several of my friends are, too. They can't believe I operate the stove without a second thought. And it doesn't get any easier than our stove, IMO. I keep telling them it's easy but the idea of a fire seems to scare the daylights out of them for some reason. I always figured it was more linked to the attendant "mess" and the "work" that goes along with firewood.

My wife always helps with the splitting. She's no spring chicken any more but still feels she should help. She likes to run the splitter (she always was a little motor head) so I let her do that until I see it's tiring her out after a couple hours, then I tell her to take a break or to let me finish it. She will start to cry saying she wants to help but she's just too tired. Her back and legs just can't take it like she used to. She also loves the insert and looks for an excuse to start a fire. She loves feeding it too. We both enjoy the warmth from a stove and watching the fire. Love her all to bits for that and for keeping a wonderful home. Excellent cook also, just like the old days.

Steve

my wife will start the stove if it goes out and will keep it going whenever I'm not around.i take care of supplying the wood and making sure we have more than enough dry available to use as we wish. she helps with the scavenging keeping an eye out for wood that's brought down near us. her parents also look out for downed trees as well. she also likes the warmth from the stove and the lower energy bill . I'm sure she would do more with splitting staking but i must admit its something i really enjoy.Pete

Bobbin said:
Grey., does she like to wear heels or does she opt for Merrills, instead? I'm all for aesthetics but Merrills are definitley easier than heels when toting wood in from the cold, even if they don't look so great with fishnets.

Savage, I think you're right about the fear thing. I know Mum was freaked right out by the stove. And several of my friends are, too. They can't believe I operate the stove without a second thought. And it doesn't get any easier than our stove, IMO. I keep telling them it's easy but the idea of a fire seems to scare the daylights out of them for some reason. I always figured it was more linked to the attendant "mess" and the "work" that goes along with firewood.

cowboy boots

Status
Not open for further replies.