Why are blower motors so expensive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hackish

Dec 27, 2020
Quebec, Canada
I'm not an HVAC professional, but I've got a reasonable amount of technical knowledge.

In my situation, I would like to upgrade the furnace fan blower motor as the old 1/2hp AC unit is on its way out. I've been pricing out ECM motors, but I can't understand why they are so expensive. $600-$800 for a little 3/4hp motor. I could get an industrial 3/4hp servo motor with torque and speed control able to start and stop within a fraction of a degree, controlled ramp-up and ramp-down and all that for less money. Other fractional hp motors with VFD are also far less.

I am wondering if this is just pricing for the "industry", or if there is some hidden quality I don't know about that drives the cost of these motors up?

I've noticed too the ECM motors are very expensive. A forum that is specifically geared toward hvac might give better info.
I'm not sure myself.