Why do people like

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Why do people like to burn unseasoned firewood , in their wood burning stove? I’m talking bout stuff like 25 percent and up, I heard it makes the fire last long so the fire doesn’t cool down as much… sounds like to me they just don’t want to season their firewood !

Why do people like to burn unseasoned firewood , in their wood burning stove? I’m talking bout stuff like 25 percent and up, I heard it makes the fire last long so the fire doesn’t cool down as much… sounds like to me they just don’t want to season their firewood !
Most people either don’t understand the concept of you can’t burn water, figure a 10lb split that 30% moisture content has approx 1lb of water over 20%.
Lots of people run tight margins in time management and firewood is one of the last things on their mind, due to how much work it takes to cut, split and stack.

Reactions: Itslay90
Many don't know any better
That's the way their Parents /Grand Parents did it
So that's the way they do it

If they know, then they have to ask if they have the ability to do something about it. Are they limited on space? How about funds? Time?

I’d bet they don’t know, or realize the difference in burning wet vs dry wood. And if they never burned dry wood, or know anybody that has, how would they know? If they only burned in windowless stoves, they can’t see the difference. They might think creosote formation is normal.

Ignorance likes company

we must not despise the ignorant, we must appreciate if we have the possibility and the time for information

There was a YouTube video out a while ago where the person would routinely burn wet wood along with a bit of dry wood. They claimed to burn clean and that it was effective for them. I remember thinking that there was no way that could be possible. If they mentioned having to clean the chimney 3 times a year I’d say fine, but there was no mention of that. Smelled fishy….or should I say, smoky.

Despite my best attempts to educate him, my uncle believes that wood is ready to go after seasoning outdoors for a few months. He claims that it's nice to have a bit of moisture in the wood or else it burns up too fast.

Despite my best attempts to educate him, my uncle believes that wood is ready to go after seasoning outdoors for a few months. He claims that it's nice to have a bit of moisture in the wood or else it burns up too fast.
That’s a real common belief. I think people assume would dries up to 0 percent moisture content.

There was a YouTube video out a while ago where the person would routinely burn wet wood along with a bit of dry wood. They claimed to burn clean and that it was effective for them. I remember thinking that there was no way that could be possible. If they mentioned having to clean the chimney 3 times a year I’d say fine, but there was no mention of that. Smelled fishy….or should I say, smoky.
I just got watching that video,

problem is space and wood dealers saying it's semi dry so people figure a few months in sun and viola it's dry.imyself know wood is not perfect but i still burn no room for turnover.this year have extra cords so i can finally get ahead.now just have to find place forr the dry stuff ;lol ;lol

problem is space and wood dealers saying it's semi dry so people figure a few months in sun and viola it's dry.imyself know wood is not perfect but i still burn no room for turnover.this year have extra cords so i can finally get ahead.now just have to find place forr the dry stuff ;lol ;lol
How many sq ft is the stone house? Maybe put it in a spare bedroom.

How many sq ft is the stone house? Maybe put it in a spare bedroom.

Where does the mother in law stay? I recommend that room. Just knowing that’s the room with all the ants and spiders should give some satisfaction.

Personally I think they just don't know any better. We didn't. We never had a wood burning stove before. Put one in a new build. But with all things new to me I research to understand what is involved. That is how I found this website. We didn't have dry wood to use the first season. We got dry wood from one of my husbands coworkers who knows a thing or two about using a wood stoves.

Personally I think they just don't know any better. We didn't. We never had a wood burning stove before. Put one in a new build. But with all things new to me I research to understand what is involved. That is how I found this website. We didn't have dry wood to use the first season. We got dry wood from one of my husbands coworkers who knows a thing or two about using a wood stoves.
I agree. The difference is that many folks are not open to learning new and better ways. In many aspects in life.
You evidently had a learning attitude, and that helps you in life. (As in preventing chimney fires, in this particular case.)

I think a lot of it is a time thing, cutting down a tree and bucking it into rounds doesn’t take that long, splitting and stacking does, that and you need space to do it.
Also, around me a lot of people have OWB, with those you can get away with burning high mc content wood, at least my dad does. He’s gotten better, but sometimes you would think there is a steam locomotive pulling pig iron up a mountain in his back yard with the black smoke.

Some people don't want wood that has been "seasoned", they cut their wood as they need it. Old ways die hard and they learned from their elders. Old style wood stoves only had an air control or a flue damper and they wanted to make the fire last all night. Green wood would smolder, and a large chunk would last the night. common sight around here at the first cold snap is to see pickups loaded with fresh cut firewood that will be burned right away.
I've also known of people that used creek water in their car's radiator because the creek didn't freeze.

Reactions: BillBurns
I've also known of people that used creek water in their car's radiator because the creek didn't freeze.
Some Mothers do have them!!;)

A friend of mine burns a lot of wood that is above 25%. I wondered how his stove could do it until we discovered a 4" hole right in the middle of his fibreboard baffle :)

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
He claims that it's nice to have a bit of moisture in the wood or else it burns up too fast.
Bingo. Slightly damp wood will make a fire burn/have coals 2-3 hours longer than if the wood is dry and in 4 hours everything is gone. I am not justifying it, just commenting on the reality.