Why doesn't the blower shut off on the EKO 40?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedclamoit

Apr 16, 2012
I have a 2010 EKO 40 super and the blower just runs, all the wood is consumed, and every morning the blower is still running full on until I shut it off, can't this thing shut off at some minimal temp?

It shuts down based on the "FB" timer setting. The FB timer comes preset to 2 hours. The timer is activated when the boiler hits the high limit temp and goes into idle mode. Each time the boiler idles the timer is reset.

So if your boiler never hits the high limit during a burn it will never shut down. Kind of a pain if you have storage and your goal is to avoid idleing. I've dealt with it by changing the FB timer to 4 hours. And once the fire is going good I turn the knob down for a second so the boiler idles (which activates the timer) and then turn the knob right back to 195. And the boiler will shut down 4 hours later.

It shuts down based on the "FB" timer setting. The FB timer comes preset to 2 hours. The timer is activated when the boiler hits the high limit temp and goes into idle mode. Each time the boiler idles the timer is reset.

So if your boiler never hits the high limit during a burn it will never shut down. Kind of a pain if you have storage and your goal is to avoid idleing. I've dealt with it by changing the FB timer to 4 hours. And once the fire is going good I turn the knob down for a second so the boiler idles (which activates the timer) and then turn the knob right back to 195. And the boiler will shut down 4 hours later.

Thanks for the reply Mike, not what I wanted to hear from a controls standpoint but I get it, and no, I haven't ever hit my target temp, which explains why it keeps on running. This is my first year, wood is wet and I'm sure all my settings are less than optimal, its been a battle. I've tried things like increasing the air, increasing the set point for pumps to kick on, everything to try and get this thing to crest 160 F, I've come to the conclusion that these boilers really need dry dry wood, which is why they are such simple machines. glad I didn't invest in storage at this point, its all going straight into my floor (3200 sf of 4" concrete).

There are quite a number of us EKO users that install simple timers on our blowers to force a shutdown and save a few pennies worth of electricity each night. It's not high tech but it's cheap and effective.

I dont need to burn through the night . I usually know when the wood in the firebox will be completly burned , then I go out and shut it off. Sometimes after a few evening cool ones I do forget though. I like the timer idea . New mod coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.