Why get a trivet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't boil the kettle or pot away in a just few minutes. It slows the cooking. Then the stove's finish will really be looking mighty poor.

The trivet can also be used for cooling a just removed pot on another surface, so it is not damaged by the hot pot.

They are also usually nice cast iron collectibles.

What stove do you have? You won't get a boil on a Hearthstone. I don't use trivets.

Can't use a trivet with my jotul 3cb it wouldn't get the pot hot enough to steam.
Be gentle removing a placing the pot and the finish should be just fine.

Valhalla said:
So you don't boil the kettle or pot away in a just few minutes. It slows the cooking. Then the stove's finish will really be looking mighty poor.

The trivet can also be used for cooling a just removed pot on another surface, so it is not damaged by the hot pot.

They are also usually nice cast iron collectibles.

I have one of those nice decorative cast iron steamers and thought about getting a trivet which would look (and probably work) well in conjunction with it. However, I quickly realized how much easier it is to use a small cool moisture humidifier instead. In my experience, it puts much more moisture in the air and is easier to fill (something I must do several times an evening). Now the cast iron steamer sits on top of the stove during the off season.

Hiker said:
Anyone just use a section of flooring/wall tile?

A good point, as some trivets are also made out of soapstone. So I offer a nicely cut piece of slate, granite or blue stone too.

we use our trivet to protect our cherry counter after the pot is taken off the stove or out of the oven. boy all this talk is given me the munchies.

Hiker said:
What is the purpose of a trivet?

Does it somehow protect the stove top finish?

Is it to reduce heat to the steamer?

My stove cooktop has the cat located directly under it.. It can get VERY hot and actually makes the cast iron around the temp probe glow orange.. I used to have a beautiful Revere copper kettle that I would use to add moisture until I forgot to fill it and it ran dry.. It got so hot it destroyed the copper and I could litterally poke my finger right through the copper.. The wife wasn't too happy about it lemme say that lol.. Now I only use porcelain cast iron bowls as they can take the heat if I forget unlike the copper..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.