Why I didn't cut the lawn again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
This weekend, and two weeks back I was not able to cut. The maternity ward is open.

Baby oriole, fresh from the nest. He could not fly yet to a shrub to get out of harms way. I spotted the nest 25' up in the Norway maple with frantic parents feeding at least one in the nest and two on the ground. The nest is like a woven hanging basket. I knew they were nesting nearby, but I was not able to locate it.

IMG_4013.JPG

Two weeks back baby robin spent a good part of the day in the lawn and later did several attempts to crash land into the shrubs.

IMG_3730.JPG

We had a robin's nest in the front shrubs and a few crows came and took the babies and did away with them. A neighbor witnessed that incident. Blue Jays are known to do that too.

There is a nesting pair of doves that are on their third attempt at a nest. The first nest fell apart and the eggs fell out. The second one on the front porch looked good until we had a stretch of 90 degree weather and I think the babies dehydrated. The current nest is in the grape vines out back which has been a good spot in the past few years.

My camera does not have the best zoom. It should be interesting to see the whole nest when the leaves are down.

That little one is in good shape being up out of the way above the nest. It looks like a lot of work was put into that nest.

Doves on the other hand use only a few twigs, just enough tho keep the eggs from rolling out.

IMG_4019.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.