Why not more IR gun Temp comparing of Pellet Brands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Hughes

Aug 17, 2012
Eastern shore Md.
I bought a General Heat Seeker Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer at Lowes, 4 years ago,
for 19.95 on sale.
Last week, a member answered a question about a brand of Pellets, by saying so quickley.
They were burning 30 degs. less than the other brand.
I check the same brands, and found the same answer. I just thought this would be better for us,
than the words, PRETTY GOOD, PRETTY BAD. not to good.
Good Luck This season
Have fun

Different stoves will probably give different readings based on exactly where you aim the thermometer. There's also so many variables affecting the heat coming out of the stove that it would be hard to get any sort of controlled readings.

I like the "back of the hand" test.

Different stoves will probably give different readings
True.
But it seems like the OP was talking about checking pellets.
Regardless of stove, or application, if on my stove I get a reading of
200° with brand X and 230° with brand Y, there is a 30° difference.
If on your stove, it read 250° and 280° the difference is still favoring Brand Y.

Maybe I read it wrong...
Dan

Reactions: Edward Hughes
Because I don't have an IR gun, have no interest in getting one, can't see for chit so couldn't aim it in the same place twice anyway. Plus, I know I burn chit to middlin pellets - and most others know the pellets I usually get are chit to middlin.

True.
But it seems like the OP was talking about checking pellets.
Regardless of stove, or application, if on my stove I get a reading of
200° with brand X and 230° with brand Y, there is a 30° difference.
If on your stove, it read 250° and 280° the difference is still favoring Brand Y.

Maybe I read it wrong...
Dan
Thanks for the reply Dan. You did read the post.
Good season

Because I don't have an IR gun, have no interest in getting one, can't see for chit so couldn't aim it in the same place twice anyway. Plus, I know I burn chit to middlin pellets - and most others know the pellets I usually get are chit to middlin.
You could always get a chit gun.... ;lol

Dan

The problem with IR guns is the surface your reading from. I love when a building facility person shoots their cute little gun at a ceiling diffuser and says "see, it aint pumping heat/AC". Then I hang my $400 Cooper and show them real air temps, not distorted readings from shiny metal surfaces. In the instance of a flat black pellet stove, the readings should be more accurate, but your reading the surface temp of whatever that little dot is touching, not leaving air temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.