Why open the damper after putting in more wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I'm new to my VC catalyst fireplace, and I am wondering why my instructions say to leave the damper open for 15 minutes every time I add new wood (to a hot fire). My only guess is that if I left it shut,too much smoke would get the catalyst and overheat it, but I don't really know.

Do you guys all do this or not?

Thanks!

Dean

My manual says the same thing, but also state it is to drive off any moisture in the wood to prevent thermal shock to the cat. Not good for the cat. Also says smoke will poor out the loading door.

I don't mean while the loading door is open, I mean after I have put wood in and closed the door, I'm supposed to leave the damper open for a while.

Dean the damper is the by pass to the cat all the smoke and moisture when starting a new log will clogg that cat up and render it useless. A cat does require more attention
however inorder to get the new logs in proper buening situation the damper should be open in most stoves cat or non cat.
What i do is open the cat 30 seconds first then add the wood this prevents smoke spillage into you room if you open the door dampered down

Right , Cat or non-cat stove when reloading new wood you need to keep the damper open ( full open , half open ) to char the new load of wood . Over all at what ever the secondary burners is doing you will get over all performance out of your stove , out of your wood and the control temps of the stove . Reloaded wood that has not been chard will lag down and become a turd and sometimes it will kill your fire and smother your coals and coaling wood.

Dylan said:
elkimmeg said:
What i do is open the cat 30 seconds first then add the wood this prevents smoke spillage into you room if you open the door dampered down

At the risk of sounding like a 'know-it-all' (not my intention) the prevention of smoke spillage is a result of the chimney getting momentarily warmed and draft momentarily enhanced by by-passing the catalyst for a short period.
Hahahaha .........

I dont know if you help any newbes with that come back or made it worse. But at least an A for effort .

Status
Not open for further replies.