Why the Blue Smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
No laughter please-okay so I have been burning wood for heat for the past 30 years, but this is my first year with the new epa insert--so mercy please :)

This evening got it up to 550, secondaries kick in and blower previously came on at 475-all is well. Wood is bone dry, cedar mill ends re-spit and reading 15%, also a piece of douglas fir in there and it was re-split and measured 19%. Go outside and look and no smoke. So after 45 minutes of this I turn it all the way down and go to the store, come back and see blue smoke. Go inside and check the stove top temp and it reads 460 (nice and hot). but we have the blue smoke. hmmm

I open it wide up for 10 minutes, turn it down half-way. go outside and no smoke. top temp reads 475. Now I shut it down all the way again. and opps, now it is too dark to see any thing %-P

So, with my wood being nice and dry, and temps not dropping below 460, so why the blue smoke?? Hey, I`m just curious, not an enviro freak, just trying to figure out this technology?

BG--are you still awake?? Any suggestions?

Well, stop putting the stalks in the stove! :coolsmile:

Just guessing here, but it's only 55 outside, basement stove and air pressure is low. Maybe low draft? FWIW, I don't bother trying to burn in this weather.

Maybe it's your hair that's on fire...a pic sure would help. Rick

BeGreen said:
Well, stop putting the stalks in the stove! :coolsmile:

Just guessing here, but it's only 55 outside, and air pressure is low. Maybe low draft? FWIW, I don't bother trying to burn in this weather.

Thanks BG-boy, you are bang on with the outside temp. And I don`t usually burn in this temp either. but the wife wanted to watch TV tonite in the room with the big screen (the other 3 tv`s just don`t cut it.) temp in the rec room tonight was only 56 and the rest of the house 68. So, I only fired up the bear to keep away the frowns and scowls :red:

Of course, she has already opened the windows down there, and no doubt, somehow it will be my fault that it is too damn hot.!!

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, just confirmed my suspicions. If I still see the blue smoke in November, perhaps I will repost the question again?

Somehow, I just knew that this evening was gonna be a lose-lose situation. :roll:

The guys in the "ash can" say that the blue smoke is from greenhouse effect, caused by Sarah Palin's hairspray :) Just a joke!.... I'm in trouble.....

mannybeingmanny said:
The guys in the "ash can" say that the blue smoke is from greenhouse effect, caused by Sarah Palin's hairspray :) Just a joke!.... I'm in trouble.....

You`re not in trouble.. I`m still having a belly laugh as I`m typing this. That was priceless :lol:

Careful, that hairspray doubles as a flamethrower for pre-grilling mooseburgers and opponents.

My WAG for this is that the blue smoke maybe paint curing in the secondary burn chamber.

My guess is that you starved the fire of oxygen causing it to smolder by turning down the air inlet. The internal temps may have also dropped not allowing for full secondary combustion.

I think to get the most efficient burn you need to set the air inlet to the lowest possible setting that still supports full secondary combustion and a 'smokeless' chimney. This way you are burning the smoke gases and particles that can account for 1/3 to 1/2 of the BTU content of wood as well as slowing the flue gases for better heat transfer.

If we put in a new liner and new insert in its The oil burning off on the liner
Just my 2 cents my insert did the same thing

At this time of the year, use a small load of wood and burn relatively wide open. The Chimney will not draft enough to allow for low air setting, since the outside air temp is too warm. Fire will burn out quick and clean and still provide the small amount of heat needed. It is a classic shoulder season problem.

Its all about draft, some stoves are more sensitive than others to draft, and one stove might restrict air more than another on "low" setting. In general, you can expect smoke when turning your stove down too far in poor draft conditions - which is related to outside temps and atmospheric pressure. For example anytime you have outside temps over say 35-40F especially on low pressure (cloudy) days, you are going to have to keep the air up to avoid smoking. The exact temps and conditions vary so you will have to figure it out with experience over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.