Why you should inspect your chimney yearly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Had a customer call me today to thank for for my advise I gave him last week. He called stating his stove we installed a few years ago wont draft this season and was asking about the outside air kit. Always getting smoke back in the house. I found out he did not have the chimney cleaned or inspected since before last season. I said the cap was probably clogged up, classic symptoms. I ran through all other things he could check since he did not want to climb on the roof in the ice / snow. Well when I talked to him today he did end up on the roof and found an 80% plugged cap. Works like new now that he cleaned it out.

jtp10181 said:
Had a customer call me today to thank for for my advise I gave him last week. He called stating his stove we installed a few years ago wont draft this season and was asking about the outside air kit. Always getting smoke back in the house. I found out he did not have the chimney cleaned or inspected since before last season. I said the cap was probably clogged up, classic symptoms. I ran through all other things he could check since he did not want to climb on the roof in the ice / snow. Well when I talked to him today he did end up on the roof and found an 80% plugged cap. Works like new now that he cleaned it out.

Ummmm... how about monthly... weekly????... I guess we all tend to just look at the ground and never look UP?

Seriously, you should visually inspect monthly if you are a regular burner.

I don't think he could tell from the ground. He said it looked clean from down below. He also took the clean-out off his Tee and said he saw a lot of light coming in. Could not tell it was plugged until he went up there.

There are a few smoke houses that I buy meat from. I never saw so much creosote until I saw their chimneys. I guess it's a hazard of the business, but... wow. Black icecicles.

Matt

Every couple of weeks I look at the cap with a pair of binoculars. The slots look clear and My chimney drafts well, so I guess everything is okay. Also I burn a very hot start up fire and burn hot on the reloads for about 20 mins. My tee is cramped behind my wood furnace and gas furnace so it's impossible to check without shutting down the furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.