wierdest thing that I have ever burnt in my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A screw....I think. That's what I'm doing in the house in the middle of the day when it's beautiful out and I should be working. Came inside for a late lunch break only to discover that the stove had gone out. No pellets dropping. So, I emptied the hopper and noticed that the screw that holds the adjustment plate in there was missing in action. Uh oh! I ran the stove in diagnostic mode until both augers were empty. No screw. Blew both augers out. No screw. Cleaned all the ash and ran a magnet through them. No screw. Ran the magnet through the pellets I'd removed from the hopper. No screw. Gave up, replaced the screw with a new one, put some pellets in the hopper and fired it up. Seems to be working fine now but where the heck is that screw?!?!? And why do I have the feeling it will show up in the middle of the night? :down:

Anton, we've got to get you some help lad! lol Is there nothing you won't burn? :wow:

Last winter I was dumping a bag of pellets in the stove and my neices sat their can of orange soda on the stove and inturn knocked it into the stove. I had to clean the hopper out and take out and throw all of the pellets away. Luckily, the hopper was near full and the pellets soaked up the orange soda before it did any damage!

stoveguy2esw said:
Pook said:
englander with newspaper

my poor baby!!!!!

gawd that poor stove looks like hell!!!!!

by the way , if you are burning newspaper, i'd keep a real colse eye on your flue , its gonna be a mess shortly.

The word enord keeps coming to mind.

we had a company contact us to try testing some of the fuel they were wanting to market, was a mix of wood and ground corn and nut shells and peanut hulls. burned ok , but made a mess with the ash , biggest problem though they were extruding with a 3/8 die , stuff flat out wouldnt feed smoothly due to the diameter, i advised them that they would not be able to market the fuel unless they went to a 1/4 inch die on the extruder, they said they tried it but the pellets wouldnt hold shape at that diameter, only other shot they had was to make them very short. didnt hear back from them and i havent seen any sign of them around the industry , i dunno if they gave up or what. ended up mixing most of their sample with regular pellets and running them , just during the day as it was grind/clunk/grind running them , too loud to sleep through, but they heated quite well.

also , (due to my position of "head pathologist" so to speak), ive seen returned units with clogged augers with everything from chainsaw spoil to chopped up sticks , to olive pits, soybeans, even hazelnuts in them had one that had corn in the hopper , (still on the cob), thing that amazes me is folks will buy a pellet stove then immediately try to see what they can burn other than pellets in them. not a practice i condone or recommend

stoveguy2esw said:
had one that had corn in the hopper , (still on the cob)

Now, there's an idea...LOL

Well, I have about 20 lbs. of stale dry roasted peanuts, in the shell, that I'm willing to donate to this experiment. Probably too large to run through the auger, unless you shell them, but given the price of peanuts....not a practical fuel alternative. LOL Naw, I'll just feed them to the squirrls. :)

BTW, I remembered where I'd dumped the last batch of ash from the stove so I went and searched there for the screw. No screw. The mystery deepens...... :-/

pegdot said:
BTW, I remembered where I'd dumped the last batch of ash from the stove so I went and searched there for the screw. No screw. The mystery deepens...... :-/

Maybe the stove was missing the screw when you bought it?

You should go back to the dealer and demand your loose screw

:)

Good idea! However, I have more loose screws than any dealer could fix. ;-P

The screw was there. I've adjusted that panel a couple of times but apparently the last time I adjusted it I didn't get it tight enough. Still haven't found it but the stove seems to be working fine so....I'm going to give up worrying about it.

Dog food. Lentels. Beans of various variety. Shelled peanuts. Cat food. Wild rice. Black oiler sunflower seeds. All of which burned, none of which burned clean or were cost effective. I wonder what a fifty pound bag of wild rice would cost? Disclaimer: I am a trained pellet stove stunt person, do not try this at home.....

Pook said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Pook said:
englander with newspaper

my poor baby!!!!!

gawd that poor stove looks like hell!!!!!

by the way , if you are burning newspaper, i'd keep a real colse eye on your flue , its gonna be a mess shortly.
saved your poor baby from the dump & ressurected her myself. thanx for the online manual. i guess looks like hell is a compliment as to how hot the stove is burning. you can see the beauty within,& arent shallow judgemental as those who believe that beauty is skin deep. but if you wish send me a can of paint & i'll giftwrap it for her & tell her its a late xmass gift from her STEPFATHER.

SHE GOT NO BACKPLATE so iadded 20W blower to exhaust fan box & pushes warm air + cools exhaust fan. max exhaust gas temp= 300F with paper & pelletfeed at 1/1 . susre does warm up quick with blazing paper. no auger probs yet.
takes a lickinn & keeps on tckinn...

i never said the old girl wasnt TOUGH!! i just hate to see her in that way all rusted up and such.you gotta remember , i probably built that stove (or at least had a hand in it) kinda like seeing one of your kids with a skinned knee and you dont have a bandaid handy.but then i kinda grin thinking , dayum but she's still kickin it out! and they say timex's are tough!!!

GotzTheHotz said:
Dog food. Lentels. Beans of various variety. Shelled peanuts. Cat food. Wild rice. Black oiler sunflower seeds. All of which burned, none of which burned clean or were cost effective. I wonder what a fifty pound bag of wild rice would cost? Disclaimer: I am a trained pellet stove stunt person, do not try this at home.....

Oh yeah?

Well, did you feed any of these through from the hopper?

didn't think so.
:)

(for the record, the only reason I tossed the walnuts into the hopper was because they were soft enough for my Auger to chew through, if a peice was too big (like the pellets I am burning)

skippy4no2 said:
I've already mixed in a few boxes of stale cereal into my Harman Advance. Cherrios and Rice Krispies. Kids keep leaving the boxes open.

We're living in strange times. :lol:

Jabberwocky said:
skippy4no2 said:
I've already mixed in a few boxes of stale cereal into my Harman Advance. Cherrios and Rice Krispies. Kids keep leaving the boxes open.

We're living in strange times. :lol:

I wonder when they are going to add the fuel type "Stale Cereal" to the Mt Vernon AE wall control?

Status
Not open for further replies.