Wife got me a gift (Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
My wife must have heard me cussing out my old Stihl 029 that kept stalling out and not starting. For my birthday she got me a new Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf. Just started her up one pull and it idled beautifully. I just went out and got a new Oregon bar and chain to put on (not shown). Now to buck some stuff up! :D

Attachments

• 9A1881FD-7BB2-43FA-B18C-D154EFB2D9CA.jpeg
    9A1881FD-7BB2-43FA-B18C-D154EFB2D9CA.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:
My wife must have heard me cussing out my old Stihl 029 that kept stalling out and not starting. For my birthday she got me a new Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf. Just started her up one pull and it idled beautifully. I just went out and got a new Oregon bar and chain to put on (not shown). Now to buck some stuff up! :D
Nice!

Such a great saw for the money! Enjoy it

Nice wife. Pics of her in a bikini holding the saw would be appreciated.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
I picked one of those up at a dealer in the spring, I liked the looks of it, I should have probably just bought it but I didnt. I hear only good things about that saw.

Nice wife. Pics of her in a bikini holding the saw would be appreciated.

Haha PPE or no? She’s basically a Kate Upton look alike, except she’s 6 months pregnant. Not sure how she would react to that request at this time. Lol

Now you need to fix the 029.
Then you will have a backup saw.Or a loaner if anyone wants your main saw.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I did a little cutting this morning. This saw is a beast. I did in an hour, what normally would have taken a day. 1 pull starts after warmed up, great idle time, and cut like butter. I am a little disappointed in myself for being so stubborn, holding out for so long, and working with sub-par equipment for as long as I did. If you are running equipment that is frustrating the hell out of you, don’t wait, make the purchase, you will thank yourself later!

I did a little cutting this morning. This saw is a beast. I did in an hour, what normally would have taken a day. 1 pull starts after warmed up, great idle time, and cut like butter. I am a little disappointed in myself for being so stubborn, holding out for so long, and working with sub-par equipment for as long as I did. If you are running equipment that is frustrating the hell out of you, don’t wait, make the purchase, you will thank yourself later!

Glad its working well, that's very good advice.... I can't count how many times I made an upgrade and said to myself "I wish I did that years ago".

Reactions: saewoody
Hi Jay106n any idea what the difference is that cut your cutting time so dramatically?

Great saw. I'm really liking mine as well. Now that I have run it for a couple hours it works really well. For a saw of its power output the stock 20" bar length is perfect.

Hi Jay106n any idea what the difference is that cut your cutting time so dramatically?

Everything haha. The Echo starts easy. It runs and stays running. Makes great quick cuts and is responsive. It has balls.

I was spending so much time pulling and pulling every time the old Stihl stalled out. Even on fresh gas after a dealer tune up on a new chain, it just never ran well. Even when it did, it had no balls, and would bog down mid cut, and the cuts were just slow. I bought it used from a buddy a few years ago for next to nothing. It is probably in need of a carb rebuild.

Somebody needs to talk to my wife.

If it came back from a dealer and still ran like crap then i would have been taking it back to them.. they are the professionals.. Im betting the carb needed a rebuild or replaced assuming the dealer would have done that. Or it needed a top end refresh as it was not building compression easy and cheap..
But new is always nice

Reactions: JimBear
I am sure a compitant shop could make it run right.
Thousands and thousands of cords of wood have been put up with 029's.
Get it fixed so you have a backup saw.

It's a whole different beast than your old 029. Even in top running condition the 029 will still have 21% less power to work with.

Echo CS-590: 4.7hp - brand new and in top running condition
Stihl 029: 3.7hp - 20+ years old, sounds worn out and improperly tuned

If it were me I'd keep the 029, and rebuild it for a backup saw.

Reactions: Jay106n
Nice buy, I just bought this saw after tree cutting guys left about 4 cords of large pine trees on my front lawn and was able to cut it all up with no problem. Couldn’t beat the price either. comparable stihls and husky’s were hundreds of dollars more expensive and my wife wasn’t having that. $400 was a lot more palatable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay106n
Echo CS-590: 4.7hp - brand new and in top running condition
Stihl 029: 3.7hp - 20+ years old, sounds worn out and improperly tuned

I’m sorry to post on a thread over a month old but this was good to read. I have zero experience with Echo but I’ve noticed how much less they cost than other brands. You can’t argue the value of Echo tools regardless if it’s saws, blowers, weed whips etc

What’s a new timberwolf cost less than $400 ? There are Stihl dealers that still have new old stock ms290 saws which are the same as 029 saws. They have them priced at around $400 bucks ! Think about this. The Echo is a magnesium case 60cc saw with about 1 hp more ( claimed). On the other hand the 029/290 is a plastic case clam saw at 55cc and is not even close to the performance of the Echo. I see used 029 on Craigslist for $300 plus bucks ! That’s just crazy in my opinion.

I love Stihl saws. But if I were you I’d sell the 029 as is on CL. Someone who has Stihl blinders on might just pay you $300 for that old 029. Then buy another Timberwolf if you really want a back up saw.