Need to buy my first chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you've had 1 saw long enough.....time to work on 3 saw plan. LMAO

Husq 395XP for those really big jobs.
Old Mag case Poulan 1800 for bamboo and big twigs.
30 - 60 - 90 cc. Such symmetry!

I will slightly buck the trend here & recommend an 18" bar for the second bar - with what you said you will be cutting. Should make for a bit easier handling.

And like mentioned above, start the look-out for the second saw - used can turn out very good if you're not in a hurry to buy & keep your eyes open. Then you can have a big-bar saw & a smaller bar saw.

Then the 3 saw plan starts to take hold. ;)

Reactions: Jon1270
Beware of what doctors call "CAS".
"Chainsaw Aquisition Syndrome."
It starts small, (16" or 18" bars) and gradually takes control of you. Saws & bars are purchased as new wood is aquired and processed. There is no known cure at this time.
It is usually combined with "WPOCD"...Wood Pile Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. One has to ensure the wood pile is stacked, stored, and covered appropriately to promote maximum drying and lowest moisture content, easy access on cold days, and the ability to refill quickly with purchases and or scrounges. People with this disorder have been known to walk through the stacks admiring the size and detail along with daily spot checks wood for dryness in the non-burning seasons. Also. there is no cure for this either.
You have been warned.

Last edited:
Thank you for looking at Craigslist got me Dodgy Nomad, Norwalk is 3 hours round-trip for me and I would like to buy from a local dealer if possible- but I really appreciate the gesture!
I called the Stihl dealer today. I told him my needs as I have stated above, and he recommended the MS 250, which gets ays he owns and lives, and sells the most to non-pros- who end up being very happy with it. He stated I don't need to buy Pro saw because I don't use it enough to warrant spending extra money. I told him if that's the case I would rather go to a level higher like the MS 271, but that saw isn't in the 60cc class. He thinks I'm just looking to buy bragging rights because, "how often are you going to fell and cut up a 24" tree?" I asked him about the MS 261, and he asked why not buy the MS 391 if I really want to spend $600 on a saw. He actually was very nice, just playing devil's advocate and looking out for me in his own way.
I'm looking at the Huskys catalog online. I need to buy a saw ASAP and get to work, I'm way behind on my schedule thanks to motorcycle and car maintenance, plus I will be going away- so the summer is slipping away. I might be buying tomorrow.

Beware of MS 250 if they still have the over engineered destined to fail flippy caps

Status
Not open for further replies.