Wife used straight gas in my Stihl weedeater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd like to sled out on the eastern side of the continent one day, the huge trails systems out there intrigue me. 4-strokes seem to rule out there, where here we all run lightweight long track 2-strokes, except for the odd turbo'd 4-stroke mod machines.

Still a mix of two strokes and four strokes here in Maine as it seems there has been a resurgence in folks who enjoy going into the more mountainous or truly rural areas and going off trail and they tend to prefer the lighter two strokes. Me . . . I've always been a trail guy. I like being able to walk out my back door, take the sled out of the shed and do a 120+ mile ride and be back in my own bed by evening (although last year was a horrible year for local riding -- I had to trailer the sled up north for the three or four rides we did.)

When my sister moved to Alaska, met her future husband and started "snow machining" as they call it, she said she was a bit disappointed as her husband and his buddies tended to like high marking on the mountains. She said she enjoyed the ride to the mountain, but then would just sit there and watch them get their sleds stuck, roll their sleds, etc. until it was time to go. She also said she kinda missed being able to hop on to a sled and ride to a restaurant . . . the trade off though is she has some beautiful shots of the scenery there. A few years ago they rode to the ice caves at Spencer Glacier. Since moving to Wasilla from Portage she says there are a few local trails. Here is a shot from late-March or mid-April . . . she said they had to ride locally due to the Governor's lockdown orders.

Attachments

• Julie1.jpg
    Julie1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 113
Pretty sure it's straight gas . . . and yes . . . I love the quietness of the four stroke, fuel sipping and how easy it starts up after just a few pulls.

Yes my 4 stroke, even though it's still a 50:1 mix is very thrifty on fuel for the work it does. Very easy to start as well.

Still a mix of two strokes and four strokes here in Maine as it seems there has been a resurgence in folks who enjoy going into the more mountainous or truly rural areas and going off trail and they tend to prefer the lighter two strokes. Me . . . I've always been a trail guy. I like being able to walk out my back door, take the sled out of the shed and do a 120+ mile ride and be back in my own bed by evening (although last year was a horrible year for local riding -- I had to trailer the sled up north for the three or four rides we did.)

When my sister moved to Alaska, met her future husband and started "snow machining" as they call it, she said she was a bit disappointed as her husband and his buddies tended to like high marking on the mountains. She said she enjoyed the ride to the mountain, but then would just sit there and watch them get their sleds stuck, roll their sleds, etc. until it was time to go. She also said she kinda missed being able to hop on to a sled and ride to a restaurant . . . the trade off though is she has some beautiful shots of the scenery there. A few years ago they rode to the ice caves at Spencer Glacier. Since moving to Wasilla from Portage she says there are a few local trails. Here is a shot from late-March or mid-April . . . she said they had to ride locally due to the Governor's lockdown orders.

That's what I think is cool, being able to go to restaurants or hotels on a sled, were not allowed to ride sleds around town or even have many maintained trails. We sled almost exclusively in the mountains, although there are lots of places to ride elsewhere around here, fields, cutlines etc. Once you experience the sights and sounds of the mountains its hard to shake. We have to drive 2.5 hrs basically into the middle of nowhere to offload, then ride almost another hour up the trail into the mountains, but the area out there is huge, I've been riding for 13 years now and have seen less than half of the area. We make day trips, its a long day leaving at 6 and home after 10 but it's worth it, although there are about 100 temporary winter camps at the staging area that people own for their own use.

Here are some pics of the area:

Attachments

• IMG_20181230_124947.jpg
    IMG_20181230_124947.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20191224_122243.jpg
    IMG_20191224_122243.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200125_135454-PANO.jpg
    IMG_20200125_135454-PANO.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 110
I mow lawns in the summer up here and the thing I look for in trimmers is how much they weigh. When I last looked for a trimmer i remember Honda four strokes weighing around 13 pounds. I buy pro Husqvarna’s that weigh 8 pounds. They don’t come with shoulder straps because they aren’t needed with their lightness. And I put speed feed bump heads on them. you just line up the arrows on the head and jam the line in them then equal it out and turn the head to wind it in. Easy schmeazy.

I have a stihl fs100rx. It is a 4mix so it is a 4 stroke but uses 2 stroke mix. It is a lighter weight pro trimmer. Has plenty of power and is fairly comfortable to run

Lots of 2-4 stroke talk, but never another peep from the OP. I stopped at "my wife". He's a lucky man. My wife wouldn't touch a weedeater.