Wild horses, any where you live?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is part of Stagecoach Band.

Richard

Attachments

• 007a.JPG
    007a.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Mrs. Krabappel
Not here , but I've seen them in Florida

"The Lac La Croix Indian Pony is a rare Canadian (Ontario) breed. It is believed that the Lac La Croix Indian Pony evolved in the 19th century from 'a considerable intermixture of blood of the smallest type Canadian horse, with the bronco or Spanish mustang of the south-western plains' (Henry William Herbert, Canadian Historical Review 1947).

A friend has helped rescue the Lac La Croix ponies from extinction - up to around 80 from only 8 remaining. They used to run wild in the woodlands around here but were gentle enough that the local Ojibway could ride or use them for hauling with little training. Can't seem to find the article about Rhonda's wild ride through a snow storm to rescue her original ponies... some were scheduled to be slaughtered. They have 21 of the 80:) Snow-Shoe's Running Horse Ranch ...

http://www.fftimes.com/node/75709 http://www.fftimes.com/node/215073

Makadaya -

15105_10151479295353472_511843924_n.jpg

Reactions: Fi-Q
None here.

Unless filly fits on the end of a lunge line count, then we have plenty ;)

There are several nice looking bands around here, all through Nevada and parts of California. We went up through Idaho to eastern Oregon, to pick up a heifer, and saw several . The BLM puts a lot more pressure on them than we would like.

The girls got a picture of a small stallion running away with a filly he'd just stolen from a good sized band, about 13, in Stagecoach. There's a bachelor band hangs around here, always good to see them.

This little lady drops by for a bite of aspen now and again.

Attachments

• 005a.JPG
    005a.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 152
We have them in the outerbanks of NC (hours from me) and it is an awe inspiring site to see them running up and down the beach. Just amazing.

Reactions: Woodman37
Just over the hill, this filly has been alone for over a month. We're guessing she left her band to foal, the foal may have died and she stays to mourn. She leaves to get water and returns.

Attachments

• IMG_0071a.JPG
    IMG_0071a.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0072a.JPG
    IMG_0072a.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Well, they got her out. Lucky she was small, made it easier to help her.
I have just been going over the videos and info posted here, I didn't know there were many areas where horses were allowed to range. That's great.

Bet she'll be a wonderful horse once cared for ... smell of humans will have a strong affiliation with her rescue. Noticed that with other animals that have been abandoned or mistreated - they become strongly bonded cause you're their hero!

I lived about 40 miles from the outer banks of North Carolina for 10 years and just north of Corolla there are wild horses. We rented a house there for a week and it is not uncommon to find them right outside your door. There are also no hard roads in this area and only accessible by four wheel drive. This area to me is absolutely beautiful and worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.