Wilkening Fireplace Insert vs. standard styles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

botbotfling

Oct 10, 2007
I would like to purchase a wood burning fireplace insert for my basement fireplace. I am not looking to heat my entire house. Just the room where the fireplace is located (about 800 square feet). I also do not wish to spend a lot of money.

I am debating between the Lopi Answer, Wilkening Ultra Great, Regency I1100 and the Pacific Energy Vista.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations regarding these models?

The Wilkening is clearly very different and the least expensive. Will it heat in a similar manner to the more closed traditional inserts?

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

Welcome. I don't have experience with the Wilkening, but have a neighbor with the Answer insert. It's got a pretty tiny firebox.

What's the fireplace opening size and depth? Have you looked at the Englander 13NCI insert? It might save you some money and give you more heat.

My fireplace opening is 33 5/8 inches wide, 26 1/2 inches high and 21 7/8 inches deep.

I looked up the Englander 13NCI, and the website stated that it was sold at Home Dept, but their website doesn't seem to indicate that they sell it. Do you know what the approximate price is and where to purchase it? Does Home Depot do the installation?

botbotfling said:
My fireplace opening is 33 5/8 inches wide, 26 1/2 inches high and 21 7/8 inches deep.

I looked up the Englander 13NCI, and the website stated that it was sold at Home Dept, but their website doesn't seem to indicate that they sell it. Do you know what the approximate price is and where to purchase it? Does Home Depot do the installation?

home depot price should be about 1,050 "ish" lowes is same (model number is 55-snc13i at lowes) neither lowes or depot will install as they are "diy" chains, both store chains carry as a "special order" item lead time right now is 2 to 3 weeks. (busiest part of our season is reason for lead time) feel free to PM me if you have specific questions , i'd be happy to answer them.

I would add that if you don't feel comfortable doing your own install, you can probably find a sweep that could do it for you (for a price of course) - I wouldn't let the lack of an installer from the Big Box be a stopper if you think the stove is otherwise something that meets your needs... (If you look on the threads, especially in the last few days, you will note that Mike & Englander do an excellent job of customer support, going "well above and beyond" when it seems appropriate.)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.