Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtwoodheater

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2015
central VT
Just like the title says, will it or won't it? just starting a conversation.

A third of a cord, tossed in the back of a half ton pick up, that has an 8 foot bed (haven't seen an 8 foot half ton truck on the road in while) barley fits. So my vote is oh hell no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have done it with a 1 ton 8 foot box and box rails on the front and sides
Very large load would not recommend it . For many years brought home
wood stacked in a 8 ft. box safe load 3/4 cord My short box half ton takes a
half of a cord very nicely

As previously stated, only with side boards on at least 2 sides & preferably a headache rack to preserve your back window. I figure a slightly mounded load in an 8’ box is about 1/2 cord, that’s per cord calculator.

Sure can;

overload.jpg

There is a member on another site that loads his 88 K1500 like that pretty regularly! !!!

To answer OP, yes, as the others have said, a full cord will fit on a 3/4 HD or 1 ton if stacked tightly to the top of the cab...I've done it...truck was probably a lil overloaded but handled it pretty well. Yes I had sideboards on and a board across the front of the bed to protect the window...would have been ugly in a crash though! !!!

Your question is simple, the answer is yes but not within the standard bedsides.

I regularly haul 1 cord of wood in my F350 shortbed with sideboards. It's a simple math formula. One cord is 128 cubic feet. Get your tape measure out and figure out how tall you need to stack above the bedrails.

It is the weight not the box size That counts

The weight wasn’t part of the question. Neither was the species of wood. Balsa? Or the longevity of the truck or modifications required.

Can it fit, yes. Even in a Toyota if you stack it high.

I can fit a face cord in my 6'6" box, rounds are easier than split when stacking to the roof.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The weight wasn’t part of the question. Neither was the species of wood. Balsa? Or the longevity of the truck or modifications required.

Can it fit, yes. Even in a Toyota if you stack it high.

I do not know any one who would use "BALSA" as Fire Wood
The Original question was
"Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?"

The answer is simply yes, so long as you are allowed to stack above the bed rails.

Reactions: johneh
I do not know any one who would use "BALSA" as Fire Wood
The Original question was
"Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?"

To which my answer would be yes.

Driving the truck anywhere while that cord was in the back would be another story entirely....

all good points, not arguing at all. I have makeshift bedsides for the yard truck. I have delivered over a cord many times in my truck.

My 5th wheel pin weight is 3100 lbs. Think about that the next time you see a 26' "ultra light" behind a mazda cx-9. LOL

I have a 2014 Tacoma with the long bed. I can get about a 1/3 +/- of a cord in it. I would not overload it as I usually haul red oak, which is pretty heavy.

Reactions: Lakeside
you need to specify box length. Most trucks now a days are crew cabs with 5 1/2 foot boxes. I call them super short beds, then you got short beds and 6.5 feet, and then long bed at 8 foot.

Only people who have long beds are - farmers, construction, horse owners. Everything else is super shorts and short beds.

You also need to specify - loosely thrown in like most people do, or stacked perfectly to maximize the volume you can get in the bed.

Numbers I saw from a mill said oak green log cord 8000# -20% moisture content 5000# ? I do know that 17 long by 20" or so Diameter rounds of hickory stacked to the roof in a pyramid fashion and tied down made my 1 ton, 8 ft box squat pretty good and point the nose quite high. Steering was a bit dicey as it didn't feel like much weight on the front end. Didn't want to make 2 trips.

Reactions: bholler
you need to specify box length. Most trucks now a days are crew cabs with 5 1/2 foot boxes. I call them super short beds, then you got short beds and 6.5 feet, and then long bed at 8 foot.

Only people who have long beds are - farmers, construction, horse owners. Everything else is super shorts and short beds.

You also need to specify - loosely thrown in like most people do, or stacked perfectly to maximize the volume you can get in the bed.

Meh, all that is irrelevant if you just go higher.

:)

Bed size doesn’t really matter as, in a 1/2 ton truck you will always run out of weight capacity before bed space, when loading it with freshly cut firewood to haul home. Even that itty-bitty super-short bed, stacked 2 feet deep with rounds, can be 2200 lb. of oak. That’s not evenly distributed between the axles, as in keeping with the maximum payload rating of the vehicle, but directly atop a rear axle and suspension designed for 1000 lb. of weight in the bed.

Go long bed, and it’s possible to stuff 3500 lb. of freshly-cut oak rounds in the bed, without going much over the rails. Again, directly over the rear suspension, not evenly distributed between the axles. That’ll even make a 1 ton squat, a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.