Will burning at high heat remove creosote build up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcar84

Jan 6, 2015
Northern Ireland
Hi sorry if this has been asked before, I did try searching the forum but had no luck. I've moved into a newly built house with a newly installed multi fuel stove. I followed the manufacturers instructions and burnt only kiln dried wood and started with a few small fires. When my husband and I lit our first proper fire, after a short while the carbon monoxide alarms went off. I had to reduced the airflow to the fire for it to go out. The next morning I noticed a lot of thick black liquid had run down the outside of the chimney. I'm guessing is is creosote. My builder insists this is from burning the wrong fuel and that I just need to burn smokeless fuel at a high heat to get rid of the creosote. Is he right? I'm really apprehensive about a listing a fire again especially as burning at a high rate caused our CO monitor to go off. Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Rachel

Creosote plus high heat = fire. Your best bet would be to get as much of that stuff cleaned off as possible. Inside being more important than outside. Call in a chimney sweep if need be. Don't set this stuff on fire.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Jags is correct. Have the chimney cleaned and THEN take steps to minimize and eliminate creosote going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.