Will chimney liner help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xforce41

Dec 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello. I have a vestal classic insert, currently have it in without a liner. (I know that's a no-no). It seems to be devouring wood, would a chimney liner help reduce draft. My chimney is currently approx 27' high. Believe it's 10" square. What liner would y'all recommend. I'm a metal fabricator so and adapter needed will not be a problem. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the forums!

Generally a liner helps IMPROVE draft, as an oversize clay tile can draft poorly:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

So putting a liner in a 27' chimney would suck, literally... you would get a stronger draft. Not sure if your insert is EPA w/ secondary burn, but if it's plowing through the wood and seems like it's drafting too strongly w/ a 10" sq tile, it probably means the firebox is getting too much air. Leaks?

The best thing you can do to reduce wood consumption is to get a much more efficient stove. Time to replace the old timer with a modern EPA stove. A liner will improve safety but it is not going to make the stove burn less wood.

Reactions: CenterTree
Hello. I have a vestal classic insert, currently have it in without a liner. (I know that's a no-no). It seems to be devouring wood, would a chimney liner help reduce draft. My chimney is currently approx 27' high. Believe it's 10" square. What liner would y'all recommend. I'm a metal fabricator so and adapter needed will not be a problem. Thanks for the input.

How much wood is it using?

How much wood is it using?
It's got a large fire box. I can fit approx 8 large pieces in it. Pieces being 6-8inch diameter and 20" long. It will burn thru that in less than 8 hrs. I do have slight gaps in door seals because doors are slightly warped. I guess that's the culprit. cheap cast doors I think. I'll have to weld shims on the face of the stove I think. I replaced gasket last year. Still had small gap.

If you ever want to get more heat with less wood, and longer burn times, take BG's advice and try a newer stove. It will be a much different experience than the Vestal version.

If you ever want to get more heat with less wood, and longer burn times, take BG's advice and try a newer stove. It will be a much different experience than the Vestal version.
I defiantly would love a new stove. But funds are a bit tight currently. I do realize the age and design of my stove has a lot to do with my issue. Hopefully I can tighten up the air leak issues and get another year or two outta the Ole girl, then maybe I'll be able to afford a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.