Q&A Will Gas Fireplace add to Home Value, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We've recently bought a home in Woodbridge- Virginia and will be here for 3-4 years. The house has a finished basement which serves as the family room and is where we spend most of our time. There is currently no fireplace in the house- and the gas central heating doesn't heat the basement sufficiently. We have been considering getting a direct vented gas log fireplace installed as we have enjoyed traditional wood burning fireplaces in the past. The reason we are considering gas over wood is I believe (without estimates) the cost of having a traditional wood fireplace with chimney installed would be significantly higher. We are also thinking about just getting an electric or propane space heater. Since we're only here for a short time- we wouldn't be able to recover the cost of installing a fixed gas system regarding the difference between the monthly gas versus electric (space heater) bills. If you already have Natural Gas in the home- it would be good to get a gas unit. If you don't- look at LP gas. However- I do know a fixed gas system would add to the value of our home - but haven't yet questioned my realtor to see how much. What is your personal opinion on the space heater versus direct vented gas? Also- what's the scoop on electric versus propane space heaters?

Answer:

1. A Gas Fireplace will add about $2500. to the value
2. Direct Vent is great- and will keep you warm plus provide the heat. LP or natural gas will be MUCH cheaper than electric and put out many more BTU's
3. Electric is 3 times the cost . There are also direct vent "Stoves" that could be taken with you to the next home- and also install with less building work than a fireplace..check these out. Also- if you are not going to use it a lot- and unvented stove or fireplace may be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.