Q&A Will gas insert heat without blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Sirs, I am considering putting a gas fireplace insert in my fireplace. I am able to find information on the efficiency of units with a circulating fan, but not the efficiency or heat output when we lose electricity and have no circulating fan. Could you give me some idea of what to expect? Would the insert allow me to keep the room warm during a power outage, or would it be the equivalent of gas fireplace logs?

Answer:

The blower probably only increases the efficiency by 5-10 percentage points, so there will be plenty of heat to keep your home warm in the case of a power failure. Enjoy your new insert!

Status
Not open for further replies.