Will it burn effectively?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalhide

Feb 12, 2010
East Central IN
Hello all…long time reader of the forum and a first time poster. I have a hitzer 983 coal/wood insert, and was wondering if I could burn pellets effectivly?
I have a buddy who stumbled across a good supply of pellets (mostly free), and before I do an experiment I am curious if anybody has any suggestions/concerns.

1.Never burned pellets
2.Air supply on my stove is under the fire.

I'm not sure how "effective" it will be, but I have seen baskets that are designed for this. I would also think that a bottom air feed may be an advantage in burning pellets, but that would depend on how well your stove controlled the air. Heck, give a hand full a shot. Its pretty hard to hurt a coal stove. Them things are usually built like tanks.

It is a tank...and from what I have researched pellets like their air from below similar to that of a coal fire. When you say basket, I invision a recepticle that will prevent the pellets from falling through the grates?
I have excellent control of the air supply...

Metalhide said:
It is a tank...and from what I have researched pellets like their air from below similar to that of a coal fire. When you say basket, I invision a recepticle that will prevent the pellets from falling through the grates?
I have excellent control of the air supply...

Yes, the basket is designed to "contain" the pellets. They look flimsy to me, but I have never seen one in person. I cannot confirm the longevity of the contraption.

Sounds like its time to get the experiment in motion. :coolsmile:

A stainless mesh pellet basket in a coal stove it might work if the stove has nice strong draft. A coal stove can feed air from below the fire which makes a big difference. Seems worth a try considering the fuel is free. As a test, maybe get some 3/16" mesh stainless hardware cloth, cut it to completely cover the grate and fold up the sides about 6". Then try a load or two. You'll probably need a SuperCedar or some starting gel to get it going. Let us know how it works out.

If it works well, here's a link to a homemade design that is inexpensive.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43805/#553970

Status
Not open for further replies.