Will my new Morso cook us out of house and home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple random thoughts as I was reading...

1. As a lurker, I presume you've seen some of the many threads where we have emphasized that weather-sealing and draft-stopping can do more for your heating bills per dollar than a stove....

2. Looking at the floorplan you posted, the spot that looks best to me would be the living room corner next to the stair case, it would seem like a good place to start a circular airflow pattern (possibly needing a fan assist) around all those rooms on the perimiter of the 1st floor. You might not be able to get the chimney upstairs from there, but if you can, it seems like a spot that would work well and also get the stove out of the traffic pattern. I also like moving stoves closer to the center of the house as a general rule.

3. More expensive, and you loose the fire watching, but since you have existing baseboard hot water heat and solar panels, have you given any thought to doing a wood gasification boiler and storage setup? (See some of NoFossil's posts in the Boiler room particularly - he is doing some amazing stuff....)

Gooserider

Yep, NoFossil's stuff is amazing. And the placement of the stove elsewhere would be nice for several reasons except one: the stove is a (surprise) present for my wife, and she absolutely loves looking at a fire. Aesthetics are trumping some otherwise really good ideas.

Don't worry about that. If the stove is placed well, she'll rearrange the furniture to take advantage of the view if necessary. A woodstove installation is pretty permanent. Locate it right, or you will be regretting it later. Your wife might even kick you in the butt for not consulting her first.

The MORSØ® 2110 is ready to take on those bitterly cold winter nights. The 2110 has a classic design that blends both Danish European & American Traditional styles into a dynamic aesthetic picture. The result is that the 2110 is equally at home in both traditional and contemporary styled homes.

The 2110's new highly efficient combustion system makes it a clean burning, non-catalytic stove wood burning stove that is the perfect size for most medium size stoves.

With it's generous 2.0 cu. ft. size firebox, the 2110 holds enough 18.5" length wood to burn overnight.

The 2110's rear exit height of 25" allows it to be easily installed into fireplaces to turn a traditionally inefficient fireplace into an efficient home heater. And if you need to reduce the height, the 2110's optional short legs shown to the right reduces the height by 1.6".

The 2110's 18" depth also makes it attractive for those installations where the stove cannot extend very far into a room.

According to their web site it is a 2 cubic foot firebox, and my 3610 is a 3 cubic foot firebox.

EDIT you can dissregard all of my previous post.... That unit will be great for what you need. When you said a 800 sf morso I thought you were referring to one of their toys like :
1410N_thumb.gif

I have a newly installed 1410. Many folks on this forum have a similar sentiment to this smaller model as the above quote suggests. HOWEVER, there is an appropriate use for the smaller stoves. Personally, I am not expecting my stove to heat a whole house (like you also mentioned), some folks want to view a fire because of an aesthetic i.e. it is cozy to look at (like your wife probably). The biggest benefit of my small stove is the tiny footprint and close clearances it needs. I decided on the small Morso because I did not want such a big presence in my living area. The biggest downsize is that a smaller firebox does not take splits longer than 10" (I like fussing with the whole wood thing, though). And I'm not minding not having an overnight burn; seems like a waste of wood to me. I just build a new fire in the morning.

With your limited choices of where the pipe can go through the roof, a stove with close clearances would probably help in your situation (I am not advocating the small Morso here, just reminding you to look at the clearances when you select your model)

kb

Smokey said:
According to their web site it is a 2 cubic foot firebox, and my 3610 is a 3 cubic foot firebox.
Trust the firebox measurements and not the marketing hype. As one who had a 2110 for a year or two (and loved it, search on this site for 2110 and you can see), I can assure you that it is NOT 2 cu ft. - in fact it's closer to 1 cu ft than two. The firebox is 18.5" x 11" x 10". You do the math.

precaud said:
Smokey said:
Trust the firebox measurements and not the marketing hype. As one who had a 2110 for a year or two (and loved it, search on this site for 2110 and you can see), I can assure you that it is NOT 2 cu ft. - in fact it's closer to 1 cu ft than two. The firebox is 18.5" x 11" x 10". You do the math.

Not sure I did the math right but I multiplied 18.5x11x10=2035 then divided by 2574= .79/or less than one cubic foot.

Is there anything we can believe as fact on the manufacturers web pages and brochures?

2035 / 1728 = 1.17 cu. ft.

Is there anything we can believe as fact on the manufacturers web pages and brochures?
The net shipping weight? :)

Yep... put wood in the stove and you void the warranty! :-/ ;-)

Well if you take the time to read the Morso warranty, you'd think that was the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.