Will the Princess really give me 24 hour burns on low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Specifically why do you think that is?
Because the princess doesn't put out enough btus when running on an 8 hour cycle to heat my home under those conditions. The Regency did

Because the princess doesn't put out enough btus when running on an 8 hour cycle to heat my home under those conditions. The Regency did
It has been what three seasons since you swapped the two stoves. I see you still using the BK😉😉

It has been what three seasons since you swapped the two stoves. I see you still using the BK😉😉
Yes every time I swap stoves I give it about 5 years. This one was a loaner so I didn't know how long I would have it. Again I like the stove most of the time but I definitely burn more oil with it. And am not saving any wood. But the heat output is more even and it is absolutely nicer in milder temps. There are tradeoffs with any stove. The princess is far better at low output than anything else I have used without question. But would I personally buy a new bk? No

Reactions: Todd and Diabel
Which Regency specifically?
How many sq ft is the house?

I can’t recall if it was one of their hybrids or not.

I looked at a used Regency the other day. Model wasn’t specified, but it was beefy. Condition was a tad rougher than I liked for the asking price.

Which Regency specifically?
I can’t recall if it was one of their hybrids or not.
No.the 3100 their large non.cat that is no longer made. My dad is now running a 5200 it's a really nice stove

No.the 3100 their large non.cat that is no longer made. My dad is now running a 5200 it's a really nice stove
5200 is a nice stove. Aren’t they advertising 30hr burns with that stove or am I thinking if the big Quad (5700 I think the Quad is)?

I like how that older 3100 has bricks in the top like my older Liberty.

Last edited:
5200 is a nice stove. Aren’t they advertising 30hr burns with that stove or am I thinking if the big Quad (5100 I think the Quad is)?

I like how that older 3100 has bricks in the top like my older Liberty.
The Regency pre 2020 was the 5100

Ok…there was a 5100, but I meant the 5700 Quad. See my edit.

Anyway…I think they are advertising 30hrs with the 5200. I thought the 5100 had long burn times too if I recall, but maybe not 30 hrs.

That 5700 Quad advertised at only 15hrs I believe.

This is my 10th season on my princess, 3 cats and 2 door gaskets has been all the maintenance I've needed, I burn on average between 3 to 3.5 cords a season, my seasons consist from Nov till end of April, its an easy stove, sometimes when the bottom drops out I wish it had a little more umph to it (like @bholler ) stated but all in all, very happy with the stove so far and like what other have said, its very easy to run, I'd buy another one again if I had to buy a stove.

Reactions: Nateums and bholler
Been loving it this stove. Still only burning on the lowest setting and going beyond 24 hours every time.

Our house is 1450sqft and highly insulated so the low and slow is perfect. Been around 20f at night and the stove is maintaining the house above 75f throughout the whole burn.

I've also burned cabinetry wood scraps a couple times. I had what was essentially a bucket of eastern white pine kindling that I threw in there and over 12 hours later there were still pieces of unburned wood. So impressed - the old stove would have consumed all that within an hour or less.

Congratulations on your recent purchase and your continued enjoyment. It seems you made a great choice for your home needs. We have a similar size BK firebox- Ashford 30 and not quite twice the home size you have. It keeps us in the 71-72 range during the coldest months if we load it up w 5 splits (fills the fire box)- but then we load every 12 hours and run the air intake just beyond the mid setting. If in the shoulder season (where we are now and soon to be getting out of) we can get once daily burns if we lower the air intake and fill it full, but rarely do this because of the immense creosote that builds up inside the stove and on the glass and then we will notice a faint creosote smell in the house. Instead, we load 3 splits of wood and keep the air intake in the mid section and load twice per day. This too keep our home in the low 70s.

Just a thought... if you have difficulty with smoke spilling out during reloads, you can mitigate that by 1. Burning down your load to coals between reloads; 2. having a window wide open near the stove; 3. opening the stove door and letting stove pipe temperatures rise inside the stove for several minutes (your time may vary). We have found that this eliminates most of this problem for us. if you do not have this problem, then even better.

Come next year when you are thinking about how much woodd you need to heat your home you will appreciate how much wood you
do not need to purchase or split to heat your home per year. We went from loading 7+ cords per year with the Englander NC 30 heating an 1800 ft.² 2 level updated farmhouse to approximately 3 cords per year for a 2400 ft.² better insulated ranch style home . My wife really likes it and and so do the dogs...

Please keep us updated during the coldest time of the year and again, congratulations on a choice that works for your home. It is nice to get it right the first time. Have a great holiday season.

RP

Just a quick update.

This stove is amazing. I have still only burned on the lowest setting except for one fire that I left on high for about 2-3 hours after letting the house drop to the high 50s during an out of town weekend. That one fire did clean about 75% of the glass which I was curious about.

Yesterday was in the 20s and gray, 10s at night. One fire at 8am and was mid 70s in the house all day and this morning was 70 at 8am, when I reloaded without needing kindling. That was with suboptimal wood too.

I think I will burn around 1 1/3 cords this winter. A little difficult to measure exactly, I stack wood on pallets and move under a lean-to in the fall with the tractor.

It's going to take a severe cold snap to see if I need to turn the stove up at all. Should find out soon.