Will the stove even work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Made a post the other day about picking up a 2200sqft Englander (or SH equivalent I guess it was). Well I decided it would be too big for my garage, so I cancelled the order and snagged a 1550sq Englander from Lowes last night.

It is destined for my garage, which is uninsulated. I am not too concerned about it being able to heat the place (its only a two car garage, approx 600sq)... but what I am now concerned about is if the electronics will work in the unheated space, when I want them to.

Any thoughts? I know electronics and cold weather are normally not friends. I do have a propane space heater which I could use for 20 min or so each time I want to fire the pellet stove up, directing the heat right at it to warm the unit.

I wanted a wood stove. But I dont think a wood stove is the best setup for me right now (too much work to get on the roof right now and install the thing). Pellet stove chimney in a box is much closer to my interest level right now.

I have an old Whitfield in my garage. Cold temperatures have no effect on it running well from start.

My garage is 700 square feet and it is insulated. The pellet stove heats it from below freezing to 70F in about an hour.

I have had a 2000 quad cb1200 in my shop for 10 years and it works good cold starts are occasional but only thing is be prepaired for rust it will see much more humidity and condensation that it would in a house.

Check with your insurance company. Pellet stove in a garage may be frowned upon. I have a 5500M. In my pole barn/shop. Never any problems with electronics

Welp this has turned out to be the dumbest purchase of the year (I try to have few!). Looks like a brand new pellet stove is hitting craigslist.

I knew in the back of my head that I really needed a big honking wood stove (like the NC30 from ESW). We are experiencing a real cold snap, as you all know... but that little pellet stove giving it its all, is no match. Its not even raising the garage to above the freezing mark from where it is now. Looks to be a good stove for someone though, just not me.

I've got wood heat in the house, and I know how much they can throw. I should have sucked it up and done it right the first time. That'll teach me... thanks for letting me rant.

im assuming since you said uninsulated that means attic area as well? Get some vapor barrier and cover up the ceiling access to keep any heat from escaping. It makes a huge difference, a modular home i was just working on someone had removed the furnace and left the attic area open where the stove pipe went up. We had blocked off the hole going through roof and redone roof. The pellit stove in my place came out of that unit and we cold not figure out why it would not heat the place. After a good snow fall i looked up and realized their was no snow on the roof it had all melted. That hole inside going up to attic was taking all the hot air. I slapped up a pc of plywood to cover and within a hour the place was toasty warm and had to turn stove way down. Even putting something up to cover your walls will make a huge difference

Yeah, without insulation, you might as well be running the stove outside.

Reactions: railfanron