Will this hearth do? New install, stove is Quadrafire explorer II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leap

Nov 17, 2022
VA
Hi all, we finally picked up our stove today! We ended up with a Quadrafire Explorer II, as the title says. Now time for construction on the hearth then installation!

My question is: For the hearth, will the following sandwich of materials work?

From the bottom up:
1/2” plywood (over finished wood floor)
2 layers of 1/2” duroc
Porcelain tile

This would be in lieu of the suggested 3/8” metal clad millboard suggested in the manual.

Modification suggestions welcome, if needed :)
Thanks in advance!

I just looked at the install manual and it specifies non combustible material. I would think what you listed would meet that standard.

Reactions: Leap
I found where it says “type 1” hearth, is that just ember protection?

The manual is a bit ambiguous here, falling back on a dated spec instead of specifying the required R-value. This discussion comes up every once in a while due to this ambiguity. Here's a past discussion:

For any future researches on these stoves specifically, I’ll post the screen shot of the manual I found online. Type 1 evidently means ember protection only, so our build will be a bit “extra” for the stove but there’s always the possibility of a different stove down the line…easy enough to lay additional materials atop if the .52 R value isn’t enough for the next one (for now we are just tiling the ground, perhaps walls later).

Thank you again @begreen for your time to respond and you as well @Ctwoodtick !

F170F316-A3FA-47F9-B8D6-B9ABB2534635.png

Great, that's helpful info. It would have been nice to put that in the manual. Looks like you are good to go.

How is the stove looking now that you have it in person?

@begreen oddly enough it looks better than I remembered. Hubby said the same thing. We viewed it at night in headlights and with flashlights (it was the only time we could go), so I'm happy to report it's much prettier in the daylight, lol!

I'm going to order the paint soon, but we need to take inventory of the fire bricks so I know which ones to order. I'd like to order together but I am also eager to get the paint and get started on touching it up...

I'll be documenting everything here with photos if you'd like to follow (or anyone else): https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/documenting-our-brand-new-stove-install.195705/

Good evening, is this stove a rear vent. I've tried to do some searching on them, but not having much luck, thank you.
It can be configured for top or rear-vent.

Reactions: Michbrog23