Wind and chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KB90

Nov 26, 2021
Central Illinois
I recently had a brand new chimney installed with a new wood stove. Vertical chimney 6” double wall and class a going through ceiling and roof. Total length is 22 feet roughly. I live in an area without any wind break and the wind is really loud in my chimney with high gusts. Is this normal? The chimney extends nearly 3 foot above my peak on roof. It all seems proper. Thanks

If you feel like your stove is harder to control, or its burning to fast, you may want to seek advice on installing a pipe damper.

There are cowlings and caps designed to eliminate wind noise, if what you're hearing is wind coming down the pipe. If on the other hand you're just hearing wind hitting the side of the pipe, then a chase may be your only solution.