Wind and Pipe problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 6, 2019
Nashville
I recently had a company install new double walled class A stove pipe for our wood stove. It works fine inside. However, just a few weeks after installation we had some 40 mph winds and the section over the roof came flying off and landed on the ground. The installer said he can only twist the one pipe section into the roof section. he said they can't screw into double walled pipe. Is there a reason for this? The only other option he gave us was paying $250 for a roof brace, which he originally told us we didn't need. We get a lot of 40 MPH winds here. It seems like a properly installed Roof pipe section should be able to withstand that with whatever the normal installation.

I recently had a company install new double walled class A stove pipe for our wood stove. It works fine inside. However, just a few weeks after installation we had some 40 mph winds and the section over the roof came flying off and landed on the ground. The installer said he can only twist the one pipe section into the roof section. he said they can't screw into double walled pipe. Is there a reason for this? The only other option he gave us was paying $250 for a roof brace, which he originally told us we didn't need. We get a lot of 40 MPH winds here. It seems like a properly installed Roof pipe section should be able to withstand that with whatever the normal installation.
Make them fix it. There is no reason that the pipe should ever blow off.

If I do have to fix it myself would stove pipe cement help? And can I screw a couple of sheet metal screws into double walled stove pipe?
No cement will do nothing at all. What brand of chimney pipe is it?

Class A pipe is chimney pipe, not stovepipe. Stovepipe is the indoor pipe that connects the stove to the chimney in the room.

This sounds like an installation error. How tall is the class A chimney pipe from the roof to the chimney cap?

Are you sure that is what was used outdoors? It is definitely not Class A chimney pipe. I suggest that you take pictures of this installation inside and outside and post them. There could be more issues here.

This is a wood stove. Duravent 6 inch double wall. 3 feet up from roof with storm cap.

Like bg said that is not chimney pipe if that is what was used as a chimney you have other problems. But I don't think it is because that pipe is not twist lock at all. It is attached with screws.

Without knowing the exact type of chimney pipe in question we can't help much.

If I were you, I'd give whoever installed it a hard time. Sounds like they don't know what they're doing.

Reactions: Mech e
Perfect. Just ordered it. Thanks.

I just finished my own install with this same chimney pipe. You need the locking bands on every joint of the chimney. There is also a "Roof Guy kit" that is inexpensive that will help with peace of mind of that flying off there again. It's only *required* for the chimney that is more than 5 feet above the roofline.

If they are telling you this part is $250 I'd say that's an aggressive markup.

Most Lowes stores have the locking bands in stock in the store.